Spring job and internship fair gives students plenty of opportunities

Byline: Daniel Hale - Student Finance Reporter email at [email protected]

The spring portion of Career Services’ Job and Internship Fair was once again held in the Student Center Thursday afternoon. Organizations from various fields met with students of all majors searching for internships and careers.

The event saw representatives from 141 organizations, the second largest in its history, the largest being 144 last fall. Some were returning groups.

“We’ve probably come for at least a dozen years,” said Bill Graham, manager of Camp Asbury, a year-round camp and retreat site associated with the United Methodist Church. “We like coming here. We’ve always found good quality students.”

The fair featured newcomer organizations as well.

“This is our first time (at the Job Fair),” said Bridget Dickerson, corporate recruiter for Insight Global. “I’ve had a ton of people stop by. People are very friendly, very prepared and organized. It’s great.”

Impressions overall are favorable among potential applicants. Lauren Steenrod, an Accounting Finance major, came seeking an internship for next summer.

“I did make a few connections,” Steenrod said. “Some were better than others, but I feel pretty confident.”

Computer Information Systems major Jeremy Myers said he found a lot of companies that piqued his interest.

“I was able to hand my resume to a number of potential employers,” Myers said.  “Shake hands, receive a lot of literature. I’m very impressed with the number of companies that are here. I’m really hoping to get the experience that I need.”

However, not everyone was satisfied with the job fair. Dan Grueber, an alumnus with a major in Political Science, would like to see more organizations pertaining to his field.

“I’m sure there’s tons of majors that have very little representation for this whole thing,” Grueber said. “Isn’t Kent State supposed to be about diversity? You’re fostering this climate of diversity and different majors and different walks of life. Then, once we’re on our way out, you’re like ‘buckle down and get a job.’”