345 Flats: Is quality and convenience worth the price?

The construction for the new 345 Flats on the corner of Summit Street and Water Street on Wednesday, Jan. 27, 2016.

Miranda Zoloty

As Kent State continues to grow and develop, so does the surrounding community. Though still being built, 345 Flats, the newest apartment community, is generating maximum publicity. But with publicity comes opposing views.

According to leasing manager Brittany Mullen, 345 Flats is a unique student-housing complex created specifically for Kent State. It is not a chain complex as it is exclusive to the area.

“345 Flats will have high end finishes such as granite countertops, stainless steel appliances and hardwood floors,” Mullen said. “Our location is great for students as we are the only student-housing complex located on the downtown side of campus.”

Senior communication studies major Dalton Lee agrees that the location is superior, but thinks the rental rates are too high.

“Yes, the location is great. I live downtown and I love being down there,” Lee said. “I walk past the construction everyday. The only downfall I see is that the prices are sky high, way too pricey for most college students.”      

Junior fashion merchandising major Molly Butterfield said that the price is a tad bit high, but well worth the one-of-a-kind features.

“(I’m choosing) 345 Flats because of the location and the gorgeous new models,” Butterfield said. “Although I first thought it was a tad pricey, I know I’ll save on transportation like gas and Uber fees.”

The construction for this four-story student housing community, located at the corner of Depeyster and Summit Streets, began in July 2015. Move-in day for residents is scheduled for Aug. 24.

According to the 345 Flats website, the least expensive option is a fully furnished studio apartment at $890 a month. This rate includes cable, Internet, water, sewage, and trash. Electricity is a paid utility by residents. 

“Even with our location and being brand new, our rent prices are still competitive compared to other student housing complexes that offer similar apartments,” Mullen said. “We have seen a lot of (Kent State) fashion students and architecture students decide to lease with us due to our location.”

“We have a great assortment of amenities including a 24/7 fitness center, business center with free printing and iMac computers, a game room and two study lounges on each floor,” Mullen said.   

As construction on the apartment complex is still in progress, students are only able to view apartment options via pictures and virtual tours.

345 Flats is currently leasing for the 2016-2017 school year. For more information, visit www.345flats.com.  

Miranda Zoloty is the commuters and apartment life reporter. Contact her at [email protected].