BUS decades dinner collects goods for those in need

Students line-dance at BUS’s “90s vs. 2000s” community dinner in the Oscar Ritchie Multipurpose Room on Monday, Nov. 9, 2015.

Daria Gaither

Kent State students gathered in the Oscar Ritchie Multipurpose Room on Monday night for a night of food, fun, dancing and music in a 90′ vs. 2000s themed community dinner hosted by Black United Students (BUS).

Admission was free for all Kent State students with a donation of toiletries, nonperishable food items or clothing. 

Dressed in their ’90s and 2000s attire, students participated in line-dances, a soul-train line and shared old, popular dances. 

Daisha Overstreet, a junior communications studies major, said the community dinner was a fun opportunity to bring people together.

“I think that this was the best opportunity to gather students together for a good cause,” Overstreet said. “Events don’t have to be extravagant to get a message across, and I think BUS did a great job tonight.” 

Chynna Baldwin, a sophomore psychology major and director of community affairs for BUS, said she was excited about the turnout.

Baldwin said there is more to community service than typical activities.

“Community service is more than just helping at homeless shelters, but bringing our community at Kent State together too,” Baldwin said.

LaQuann Dawson, a junior fashion design and visual communication design major and BUS’ director of public relations, said the event was helpful for the community.

BUS plans to host more community events in the future. Dawson said BUS will be hosting a holiday card party Dec. 5.

BUS board and committee members will make backpacks with all the donated items. The backpacks will be taken and passed out to people in need in Cleveland. 

Daria Gaither is the diversity reporter for The Kent Stater. Contact her at [email protected].