Art professor remembered by students and colleagues

art professor pic

Megan Hermensky

For more than 30 years Assistant Professor Gingr Vaughan shared her vast knowledge of art history with her students at Kent State.

The art teacher died Oct. 27.

Vaughan’s memory is carried on by her brother, James Vaughan, who took to Facebook to relay details of her passing. 

“My sister Gingr Vaughan died suddenly yesterday,” Vaughan said in a Facebook post Oct. 28. “She had the flu and was having respiratory difficulty — she died in the ambulance on the way to the hospital around 9 p.m.” 

Vaughan was most recently teaching three Art as a World Phenomenon classes. Christine Havice, director of Kent State’s School of Art, explained that these three classes will be taken over by Dr. Meredith Palumbo. 

“We do have guidelines for what happens when a class is interrupted for whatever reason and that is essentially to guarantee the students are able to complete the class with as little disruption as possible. Arrangements are being made for new teachers to take over the sections that Professor Vaughan taught,” Havice said.

Havice shared her memories of Vaughan’s positive impact on Kent State students and faculty members.

“She was a wonderful friend to a lot of faculty members here, a dedicated teacher, and she was an invariable participant in openings and events at the school,” Havice said.

Vaughan’s teaching style also made her well-liked by her students.

“She was straightforward with everything, which made it more simple, which I (appreciated),” said junior zoology major Jessica Holbrook, one of Vaughan’s students. “She was helpful and quick to answer questions, which was important for an online class. When we had our exams in-person, she was a sweetheart.”

Havice also noticed this connection Vaughan had with her students.

“They enjoyed her and she loved them. She loved teaching and was a dedicated teacher,” Havice said.

In an email to Vaughan’s current students, Havice also relayed that grief counseling services are being made available for the students if needed.

Aside from her work in the art world, Vaughan will be remembered for her love of nature and animals. 

“She is well known for her ‘pack’ of beautiful dogs and her dreamscape gardens… if it crawled, galloped, swam or walked, Gingr Vaughan loved and cared for it,” her brother James wrote in a Facebook post Oct. 30.

Havice said that details will be forthcoming on calling hours. She also noted that the School of Art was asked to hold a memorial service on Nov. 21. Details will regarding the service will be provided in the coming weeks.

Megan Hermensky is the faculty and academics reporter for The Kent Stater. Contact her at [email protected].