Women’s basketball falls to IPFW

Ty Sugick

The Golden Flashes drop their second straight game of the season 68-86 to IPFW, now (1-2) Kent State will look to regroup and string together so wins moving forward.

The first road test was disappointing, as the Flashes started off the game cold and were unable to recover. On top of the loss the team also suffered a set back in the early second quarter as freshmen guard Taylor Parker went down with a leg injury, she was unable to return to the hardwood for the night.

The Mastodons jumped out to an early 11-2 lead in the first quarter and never let their foot off the gas. IPFW shot the ball very efficiently as they went 51 percent from the field and 50 percent from behind the arc. 

The Flashes did not have many answers on defense, as their presses were being broken with ease, and the team struggled to convert off its few turnovers opportunities. The Flashes switched to a man defense from zone that helped spark new opportunities, but the Mastodons continued to have a hot hand

IPFW had four players finish with double digits in the scoring column, leading the way for the Mastodons was junior guard Kamilah Carter with 19 points.

Redshirt freshman guard Tyra James entered the night as the Flashes leading scorer, but tonight was an off night for James as she went 3-11 from the field and finished the game with eight points. 

Leading the way for the Flashes was sophomore forward Jordan Korinek with  17 points and 9 rebounds. Following Korinek was, sophomore point guard Naddiyah Cross with 15 points and junior forward Larissa Lurken with 13 points.

After the game head coach Danielle O’Banion expressed her concern for guard Taylor Parker and her health. Then she went on to add that IPFW played well and shot even better.

“They were better at being them than we were at being us,” O’Banion said.

The Flashes will return home to the MAC Center on Tuesday, Nov. 24 to face off against the University of Minnesota. Tip off is at 6:30 pm.

Contact Ty Sugick at [email protected].