Flashes cap off Homecoming weekend with victory

Junior Wide Receiver Ernest Calhoun gets hoisted over the head of Offensive lineman Anthony Pruitt after scoring a touchdown against Miami University. The Flashes beat Miami at Dix Stadium for the homecoming game 20-14.

Stephen Means

Kent State (2-3, 1-0 MAC) opened up Mid-American Conference play 1-0 for the first time since 2012 after its win over Miami (OH) (1-4,0-1 MAC), 20-14.

“Great first MAC win,” head coach Paul Haynes said. “Always good to get a MAC win, Homecoming and everything that goes along with it.”

After what looked like what was going to be the Flashes’ first shutout win of the season, the Redhawks scored 14 unanswered points in the fourth quarter with all of its yards coming through the air.

“Their guys made plays and our guys relaxed a little bit,” Haynes said. “When we talked about closing out the game, we didn’t close it like we should have, but their guys did a good job of making plays.”

The Flashes defense forced four turnovers in the game.

“Our guys, in all three phases of the game, did a good job in different times of the game,” Haynes said. “We always talk about getting better each week, there’s a lot of things that we did better.”

Redshirt sophomore Demetrius Monday recorded his fourth and fifth interceptions of the season and junior Elcee Refuge got the first of his career.

“It goes back to our preparation this week,” Monday said. “ Films showed us that (redshirt freshman Jared Murphy) was a big guy that they like to throw the fade to. We’ve been practicing all week with it so it just came into play.”

This is the second game this season Monday has had two or more interceptions.

Freshman Juantez McRae had what was possibly the biggest play of the night. With a little more than a minute left in the game, McRae made interception that halted Miami’s chance at a game-winning drive.

“It was just a good play,” McRae said. “I felt that once I saw the ball in the air I just had to make the play.”

Redshirt junior quarterback Colin Reardon finished the game with 178 total yards and one passing touchdown.  For the second week in a row, true freshman wide receiver Antwan Dixon ran off a 40-plus yard touchdown with a 75 yard run.

Contact Stephen Means at [email protected]