Rise Up October protests police violence

Flyer for the #RiseUpOctober event.

Carson Kleinman

People from all over the United States will be gathering in Washington Square Park in New York next weekend to Rise Up October and protest against mass incarceration and police terror.

Small protests have been taking place all semester, on campus, according to Bill Swain, organizer for Rise Up October.

“We’re really rallying here to get people to get on the busses from Cleveland on the 24 to say no more to police terror,” said Swain.

This event will consist of a massive march, along with other powerful actions, demanding police terror to stop. According to their website, this demonstration will be resistance-based, uncompromising in spirit and, at the same time, pluralistic and diverse, involving hundreds of thousands of people, reaching into every corner of this society and powerfully impacting the whole world.

Busses will be taken from Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Ferguson, Houston, Los Angeles, Princeton, San Francisco and Seattle to take place in this historic event.

Swain said that this is taking place in New York because it is the heart of the problem.

“We think that mass action in the streets is the only way. Like Ferguson and Baltimore; that’s the only way we’re going to get justice,” said Swain.

Students from surrounding colleges including Cleveland State and Cuyahoga Community College along with many Cleveland residents will be making the trip to New York, by bus, next weekend for the event. Tickets for this bus trip are $80 round trip and can be purchased through Bill Swain, who frequents the Kent Campus. Bill Swain can be reached at 216-402-3081. Tickets can also be purchased online for $85 round trip.

For more information about this trip, students can call 646-709-1916 or email [email protected].

Carson Kleinman is the safety and transportation reporter for The Kent Stater. Contact her at [email protected].