Greek philanthropies rock Kent State

Students enjoy themselves at Chi Omega and Tau Kappa Epsilon’s Rockapalooza philanthropy event on Saturday night, October 17, 2015, in the Student Center Ball Room. Five different bands came to perform for the event and show their support for the night. The event’s proceeds all will be going to the Make A Wish foundation.

Kayla Sturm

Chi Omega and Tau Kappa Epsilon joined together Saturday to raise $10,000 for the Make-A-Wish foundation and St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital with Rockapalooza.

The event showcased the first time in Kent State Greek life history a sorority and fraternity brought its philanthropies together.

“It gave us more connections, ideas and (allowed us to raise more) money for both of our philanthropies, Make-A-Wish and St. Jude’s Research Hospital,” said Ali Boroch, president of Chi Omega.

As more students join Kent State’s Greek community, it becomes increasingly more difficult for all the chapters to hold events, leading to more joint events.  

“With our Greek community growing every year, there is a growing need to do combined events or else our support will start lacking because we can’t attend everything,” Boroch said. “Chi Omega and Tau Kappa Epsilon were very excited to take the initiative to hold the first joint philanthropy.”

Entertainment was provided by Dead Fall, AyyeDeesMM, Kilbane, Ottawa and T.K. Kavi.

“It’s cool to see people come together and do a positive thing,” Ottawa lead singer Dale DeLong said.

Chi Omega and Tau Kappa Epsilon joined together to create a positive environment.

“I find the event successful and I am happy with the turnout,” Tau Kappa Epsilon president Eric Conway said. “I want to continue Rockapalooza with Chi Omega in the future.”

Attendees of the event were able to enjoy music, purchase merchandise and buy tickets for raffle baskets.

“I think this event brings the sorority/fraternity in a unity,” Chi Omega member Grace Blackley said. “It brings people together.

Although Rockapalooza ended with a success at the end of the night, it’s important to remember it’s not a competition between other chapter’s philanthropy events.

“I want people to learn about St. Jude and Make-A-Wish and let other Greek (life chapters) know that philanthropic events should not turn into a competition,” Conway said. “We have to team together since the Greek community is growing.”

Kayla Sturm is the Greek life reporter for the Kent Stater. Contact her at [email protected].