United Nations scholarship aiding students with disabilities

Erin Zaranec

The United Nations Emergency Session scholarship fundraiser will be hosted on Oct. 17 from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m in room 133 of Bowman Hall.

All proceeds from the fundraiser go towards a scholarship for Kent State students with developmental disabilities and/or severe medical injuries, who are in need of financial assistance.

Junior chemistry major Blake Kinsel created the scholarship in honor of October being Disability Awareness Month.

“… Students at Kent State come from many different backgrounds and may or may not know of the lives of people with disabilities, or have some sort of stigma against them,” Kinsel said. “I am hoping this event will raise awareness to encourage others to help fellow Kent State students, no matter how small.”

Kinsel collaborated with the Model United Nations student organization to plan the event. For a $10 donation, attendees have the opportunity to represent a country and speak about scenarios affecting the world in a hypothetical pandemic situation, with an overarching goal of a resolution agreed upon by the entire assembly.

Performances by Kent State’s Barefeet Dance Tribe and Latin Social Dance Club will also occur at the event, which is the first of its kind at Kent State.

Kinsel is hoping to raise between $500 and $1,000 for students in need. To register, contact Blake Kinsel at [email protected].

Erin Zaranec is a student life reporter for The Kent Stater. Contact her at [email protected].