Inside look at campus security

Chad Kozan, KSU security aide, stands outside the Security Office located in the Rotunda at Tri-Towers.

Dana Miller

Adorned with a bright yellow shirt, black pants and a radio, campus security is easy to spot.

As they go into their 42nd year with 48 staff members, students have become accustomed to seeing security walk around campus, but not many students know why campus security chooses to protect Kent State.

Chad Kozan, a junior criminology major and area advisor for the safety and security program, is one of the students who jumped right into working with security in fall 2013 and has stuck with it ever since he walked into the Safety and Security Office his freshmen year.

“I got hired right after Destination Kent State when I was a freshman,” Kozan said. “I met a security aide who was also a flashguide and he told me about security.”

Working until 4 a.m. doesn’t keep Kozan from continuing his passion in keeping residents safe.

“I just want everyone to feel comfortable living here,” Kozan said. “I’m proud to tell people that we have all of the safety features that we do.”

He said he hopes to use this experience, as well as his major in criminal justice with a concentration in policing, for a career after college.

“I’m going, hopefully, into law enforcement after I graduate and this is a good stepping stone,” Kozan said.

He said that although his job is to document people for violations, that’s not all what it’s about to him. Kozan and other advisors stress community relations upon new security members.

It’s a big misconception, Kozan said, especially to freshmen. They hear in their floor meeting about security and think, “Oh now they’re going to bust me or something.”

“We help a lot of students especially around finals week that are stressed and have issues at home,” Kozan said. “We are usually the first person to talk to them.”

Some incidents have occurred where Kozan found someone who was so stressed that they just needed someone to talk to.  

“Even if it just happens once a week, if I could help someone and just maybe talk to them and I make their day better, that’s kind of what keeps me motivated,” Kozan said.

Co-workers of Kozan commented many good things about his character and how he handles situations that can turn unruly.

“Chad has a great way of interacting with other students when he has to document them for a policy violation,” said Brian Hellwig, the assistant director of residential communities. “He walks away from the incident with the students feeling like they were respected and listened to with all of their questions asked.”

Not everyone can handle a job this demanding. Kozan said you need to have some kind of people skills, like to work at night, and you want to have a positive attitude.

“While Chad is very professional and by-the-book, he is also quite noble and caring,” said Carlos Mojica, the coordinator of safety and security. “He is the kind of person who will take the time out of his day to help others whether he is on or off the clock.”

Kozan faced real life challenges with a friend, which ended up confirming why he does what he does for the Office of Safety and Security and the major he has chosen to study.

“Specifically the reason why I want to get into law enforcement, is I had a friend in high school, he’s my best friend from high school. He was an alcoholic at like 15 or 16 and his life was so bad,” Kozan said. “I became kind of his role model I guess and that’s actually what’s pushed me a long.”

For more information “like” their  Facebook page: http:www.facebook.com/kentsecurity1973 or stop into the Office of Safety and Security, located in Tri-Towers.  

Dana Miller is the safety and transportation reporter for The Kent Stater. She can be contacted at [email protected]