Kent State Students Receive 2015 Colloquium Series’ Excellence in Research Award

Stephanie Rosso

The Performing Arts Library recognized four students Thursday, Sept. 3, for their excellence in scholarship for undergraduate and graduate research in the performing arts.

Music education doctoral student Kristin Coen-Mishlan and senior music major Rosemary Heredos were among the prize winners.

Coen-Mishlan recieved the Award for Excellence in Graduate Research with her entry, Gender Discrimination in the Band World: A Case Study of Three Female Band Directors. Her research followed three band directors and the discrimination they faced because of their gender.

Coen-Mishlan reported that all three of her participants agreed that gender discrimination exists in instrumental music, especially at the high school level.

“According to an MENC (Music Educators National Conference, now the National Association for Music Education) publication in 2001, there are roughly 50 percent more males than females teaching instrumental music at the high school level,” Coen-Mishlan said.

Coen-Mishlan said one of the most powerful statements made in agreement by the participants was, “If you want it bad enough, you’re going to get it . . . you do what you have to do, male or female, you do it.” 

Along with Coen-Mishlan, Heredos saw recognition for her work Lily Pons: The Littlest Lakmé receiving the Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Research.

Heredos heard about the Colloquium Series Excellence in Research Award through her special topics class in the KSU Vocal Department called “The Golden Ages of Singing.” She said she has always admired Lily Pons, the reigning coloratura soprano at the Metropolitan opera for almost thirty years.

“I was glad to learn more about her life and analyze her vocal techniques, and to be able to share that research through the Colloquium Series,” Heredos said.

Both students were inspired to submit their work through their professors and classes.

“Our professors are always encouraging us to present our papers and research,” Coen-Mishlan said. “It is very beneficial to gain these experiences to build confidence to present at larger conferences.”

Heredos said that the Excellence in Research Award has inspired her to submit more work in the future.

“I urge undergraduates and graduates alike to take advantage of this wonderful experience offered at the KSU Performing Arts Library,” Heredos said.

Coen-Mishlan and Heredos were honored to receive their awards.                 

“I was thrilled. I’m still so thankful that my hard work was recognized, and that the editors felt that this area of research was important to the field of music education,” Coen-Mishlan said.

Both students said they will continue their research into the future.

The Colloquium Series’ Excellence in Research Awards are open to all Kent State students who show original research as a part of the Colloquium Series in theatre, music or dance. 

Stephanie Rosso is the libraries reporter for the Kent Stater. Contact her at [email protected]