Women’s volleyball ready for Sacramento invitational

Freshman Sam Jones serves the ball to Indiana State during the Golden Flashes Classic on Friday, Sept. 4, 2015.

Jesse Runner

The women’s volleyball team travels to California Friday night to participate in the Sacramento State Invitational.

The Golden Flashes enter the tournament with a record of 5-4 after splitting games against Georgetown University and the University of Wisconsin in the Badger Classic last weekend. Head coach Don Gromala felt his team played well against two tough opponents.

“I think it was a really good weekend,” said Gromala during an interview after practice. “Overall, we executed pretty well and came out strong both matches, which was one of our goals for the past weekend.”

Kent State’s first game of the tournament takes place Friday night against Santa Clara University. The Broncos — who enter the tournament 6-3 — have swept five of eight games they’ve played this season and nearly won a set against no. 4 ranked University of Texas.

The Golden Flashes will then play a doubleheader against both Sacramento State University 11-1 and the University of Nevada 5-4 on Saturday.

Kent has started and finished games strong thus far, as the team owns a combined record of 10-6 in the first and fourth set while outscoring opponents by 33 total points. However, during the second and third set, they’ve compiled an 8-10 record while being outscored by 29 points.

Sophomore, Kelsey Bittinger, currently leads the team in kills 126, sophomore Challen Geraghty leads the team in digs 183 and junior Katarina Kojic leads in assists 312.

“We know overall it’s going to be a strong tournament,” said Gromala. “Were just focused on Santa Clara off the bat.”

Jesse Runner is a sports reporter for The Kent Stater. Contact him at [email protected].