Students awarded $1,000 to study abroad

Kaitlin Walker

Eight $1,000 scholarships that will go toward studying abroad were awarded to Kent students Thursday afternoon.

Winners were announced at the Study Abroad Fair and they received poster-sized checks. Winners of the scholarships were Emilee Beyer, Lily Boehmer, Anna Blount, Bryce Geschke, Andrew Gooding, Kara Konieczny, Colin Lybarger and Mackenzie Trowbridge. 

Director of International Programs and Education Abroad for the College of Arts and Sciences Kristin Stasiowski said that the Run the World 5K was an innovative opportunity for students.

“One of the most important things to me to let students and the university community know is that this Run the World 5k was the first and only student-run university-wide fundraiser for study abroad scholarships,” she said.

Stasiowski said that the scholarships will give students opportunities they may not have had before winning.

“Our reveal today is wonderful because it allows students to immediately win a scholarship to then go and see and explore all the great programs we have,” Stasiowski said.  “From spring break trips, to intersession trips in the winter or in the spring, to summer programs to semester-long trips.”

Winner Emilee Beyer, a junior majoring in teaching English as a second language, said she would like to visit somewhere that fits her current studies.

“Ideally, I’d like to go to a Spanish speaking country because that’s my minor,” Beyer said. “Other than that, there’s so many spring break trips that I want to go on.”

Contact Kaitlin Walker at [email protected]