Division of Enrollment Management and Student Affairs to split into two separate divisions

Photo courtesy of Kent State University

Emily Mills

The Division of Enrollment Management and Student Affairs, an entity that oversees student life at Kent State, will split into the Office of Enrollment Management and the Division of Student Affairs on August 1.

President Beverly Warren made the split, announcing her decision in a campus-wide email sent out Friday, May 8.

“This administrative structure positions enrollment management as a vital part of our student success plan — a plan that covers the student-success spectrum from recruitment to graduation,” Warren said in the email.

David Garcia, currently the associate vice president for enrollment management, will become senior associate vice president for strategic enrollment management in the Office of Enrollment Management.

This office, which will include Student Financial Aid, Admissions, the Career Services Center and the University Registrar, will now report to the Office of the Provost. It previously reported to the Office of the President.

Shay Little, current associate vice president for student affairs and dean of students, will become Kent State’s interim vice president for student affairs starting August 1.

The Division of Student Affairs, which will continue to report to the president, oversees the Center for Adult and Veteran Services, Center for Student Involvement, Kent Student Center, Recreational Services, Residence Services, Student Accessibility Services, Student Conduct, Student Ombuds, University Dining Services, Kent State University Bookstore and University Health Services.

Little’s position was previously known as the vice president of enrollment management and student affairs. Little replaces current Vice President Greg Jarvie, who retires July 31. The university will launch a nationwide search this summer for a permanent vice president for student affairs.

Little said the new Division of Student Affairs will be better equipped to focus on students, including students at the regional campuses.

“I think it will allow units in the future Division of Student Affairs to focus on student life and student services and how we enhance those things at Kent State,” she said. “The president has emphasized everyone should have a student-first philosophy, and that’s part of our DNA. We’re here for students, and we want them to be successful.”

Little said no offices will be physically moving; it is simply a change in reporting and oversight. Therefore, students will not notice major changes in the division in the fall.

“Students should go about their business the same way they always have,” she said. “If you have a roommate issue, you should talk to Residence Services. Students on campus day to day won’t see big changes.”

However, she said the Division of Enrollment Management and Student Affairs has long been a part of Kent State, and many are confused about the split.

“The Division of Enrollment Management and Student Affairs has been organized this way for many years at Kent State,” she said.

Contact Emily Mills at [email protected].