Kent State baseball wins weekend series over Buffalo

Pitcher Nick Jensen-Clagg throws the ball during a game against Rider University at Schoonover Stadium on Friday, March 13, 2015.

Andrew Bugel

The bats came alive in game two and three of last weekend’s three-game series for the Kent State baseball team (26-19, 13-8 Mid-American Conference) against the University at Buffalo.

After a rough game one loss in which Kent State only managed three runs, the Flashes combined  23 runs in the next two games to win the series.

Friday May 1: Buffalo 9, Kent State 3

Kent State was blown out in the opening game of a three-game series in Buffalo.

Junior starter Nick Jensen-Clagg (7-4) suffered the loss and only pitched 4.1 innings, allowing seven runs on 11 hits.

Buffalo did a lot of its damage in the fifth inning, driving in six runs and knocking Jensen-Clagg out of the game.

The game was 9-1 in favor of Buffalo going into the ninth inning. The Flashes were able to manage two runs in that innings thanks to a two-run double by junior Zarley Zalewski.

That was really the only offense Kent State had all game as it only managed three runs off eight hits.

Saturday May 2: Kent State 10, Buffalo 2 

Kent State made a statement by winning game two of the three-game series 10-2 against Buffalo.

Sophomore Conner Simonetti got the bats going for the Flashes with a solo home run in the second inning.

Two wild pitches in the fourth inning by Buffalo pitchers allowed two more runs for Kent State.

Buffalo made another throwing error when Zalewski attempted to steal second base in the fifth inning. The throw sailed into the outfield and allowed senior Sawyer Polen, who was on third, to score.  

Zalewski led the offense during the game, going 3-5 with three RBI. Polen went 2-4, and Simonetti went 2-5 on the afternoon.

Sophomore Eric Lauer had excellent command on the mound and picked up his fourth win on the season to move to (4-3). Lauer pitched six innings and only allowed one run.

The Flashes accumulated 13 hits throughout the afternoon.

Freshman Zach Willeman pitched the final three innings and picked up his seventh save of the season.

Sunday May 3: Kent State 13, Buffalo 7

The story of this game was an eight-run ninth inning that allowed Kent State to win the game.

Kent State had a 2-1 lead in the fourth inning, but Buffalo came back to score three runs in the fifth, sixth and seventh innings.

Simonetti had the biggest clutch at-bat, hitting a three-run homer to right field in the eighth to give Kent State an 5-4 lead.

The Flashes then began to pull away in the ninth.

Freshman Dylan Rosa had an RBI single and then scored on an error by the Buffalo catcher.

Senior Jeff Revesz also hit a three-run homer after a homer by Zalewski.

Sophomore Andy Ravel started the game but received a no-decision, pitching six innings and allowing only three runs.

Redshirt senior Dan Kopcak received the victory, pitching 1.1 innings and allowing only one run.

The Flashes will come home to take on Bowling Green for a three-game series starting Friday at the Olga Mural Field at Schoonover Stadium.

Contact Andrew Bugel at [email protected].