LGBTQ center to host Lavender Graduation

Ken Ditlevson, the director of the LGBTQ Student Center, speaks during the Lavender Graduation ceremony in the Kent State Student Center Ballroom on Friday, April 8, 2016. Lavender graduation is held to honor LGBTQ and Ally students who are graduating in 2016.

Daisha Overstreet

The LGBTQ Student Center will honor lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and ally students at the Lavender Graduation in the Moulton Hall Ballroom at 6 p.m.

Lavender Graduation is a pre-commencement ceremony and dinner that will acknowledge LGBTQ graduating seniors and allies. The event is open to anyone.

“It’s a really great way to acknowledge the accomplishments within the LGBTQ community and the allies here at Kent State,” LGBTQ Student Center Intern Adam Wood said. “Graduating in general is just really awesome for everyone. It’s really important to showcase students’ achievements and contributions to the university throughout their time here.”

He said the graduates will receive a rainbow stole, which can be worn at the official Kent State graduation.

During the ceremony, there will also be a keynote speaker and awards, including Outstanding Collaborative Ally Award, Out and Proud Student Leader Award, Rising Star Award, and Faculty/Staff Award.

FLASHperks will be available at this event.

Contact Daisha Overstreet at [email protected].