BB Cue brings students, faculty together at new facility introduction

President Beverly Warren speaks at the grand opening of the Center for Undergraduate Excellence on April 28, 2015. “Students first is my number one priority,” said Warren. “I’m in on this experience,” she said, referring to the sign behind her. “I’m in on the students that make up this wonderful university.”

McKenzie Jean-Philippe

In the midst of live music, a photo booth, raffle tickets and free food, Kent State students and faculty came together to celebrate the opening of the new Center for Undergraduate Excellence at Tuesday afternoon’s “BB CUE.”

“It’s not an event, it’s a housewarming for all of the students here at Kent State,” said Cesquinn M. Curtis, business manager for Undergraduate Studies, which is now known as University College. “This is something that all of the students wanted, and I hope that they enjoyed it.” 

The facility is the new home for University College. After being under construction for 19 months, it offers a number of services under one roof.

As students and faculty ate and socialized, they gathered around the building that offers Student Success Programs, leadership centers, tutoring and a meal plan-accessible Starbucks.

“There is a lot of really cool stuff that you can take advantage of here,” said Jillian Gaietto, a junior mathematics major and tutor at center. “There is tutoring for almost every subject. It’s convenient for students…it’s kind of like a safe haven.”

The large, family-style barbecue was not only meant to showcase the center’s services but its easy accessibility, as well.

“What’s so critical about this space is its placement,” said Eboni Pringle, Interim Dean for Undergraduate Studies, which is now known as University College. “Students can always find this space on the Esplanade no matter where they are. My office is right in the back, so students can always find me. But what I want them to find first and foremost is what we can do for them.”

Contact McKenzie Jean-Philippe at [email protected].