Air Force ROTC Detachment 630 to commission five cadets

Sky Fought

After four years of hard work and dedication, Air Force Detachment 630 will commission five cadets at the end of this semester. 

Dedicated to their mission, Detachment 630 wants to develop quality leaders for the United States Air Force. The program provides the opportunity for pre-commissioning training for students who want to serve as active duty members of the Air Force. The four-year program gives students experience inside the classroom and out on the field. 

Paul Makuszewski, Cameron Clites, Chad Mortimer, Joshua Garretson and Jack Niederhiser will be commissioned as second lieutenants in the Air Force and serve active duty after completing the program.

Kent State hosts students in the Air Force ROTC program from seven additional universities in the area. Students come from the University of Akron, Baldwin Wallace College, Case Western Reserve, Cleveland State University, Hiram College, University of Mount Union and Youngstown State University. 

This year the students commissioning come from Kent State University, the University of Akron and Case Western Reserve.

Makuszewski, a senior computer science major from Kent State, said the way the military helped his family as well as his love for the United States motivated him to join the Air Force. He wanted to give back and thought his skill set would be well used in the program.

“I gave it a shot and now four years later I’m only weeks away from commissioning,” Makuszewski said. “It’s a humbling experience.”

After graduation, Makuzewski will head to the Columbus Air Force Base in Mississippi to start undergraduate pilot training.

Clites, a senior at Case Western Reserve studying aerospace and mechanical engineering, said he joined ROTC after his cousin opened his eyes to the program. He said the incredible career opportunities and the ability to serve his nation attracted him to joining. 

Clites said over the past four years, he made friendships that would last a lifetime as well as grew and changed as a person. 

“In order to grow and change, one must challenge themselves,” Clites said. “While it may have been hard for me at times, I appreciate all of the lessons I have learned here that have helped shaped me into the man I am now.”

Clites will be heading to Tinker Air Force Base in Oklahoma City after graduation to begin his first assignment as a developmental engineer.

Mortimer, a senior nursing major at Kent State, said he joined the program because he wanted to do something different with his life and be a part of something bigger than himself.

“Detachment 630 has greatly enhanced my leadership abilities, and I am very confident moving forward into the world’s greatest Air Force,” Mortimer said. 

Mortimer said taking care of others as well as yourself is one of the most important lessons he learned during his time with Detachment 630. He aspires to become a great Air Force nursing officer and work his way into flight or emergency room nursing.

Garretson, a senior electrical engineering major from the University of Akron, and Niederhiser, a senior geography major from Kent State, will also be commissioning this year.

The spring 2015 commissioning ceremony will take place on Friday, May 8, at noon in the KIVA. Family, friends, faculty and administration are invited to attend.

Contact Sky Fought at [email protected].