Update: Three students taken to hospital with injuries after car accident

An accident occurred on Loop Road in front of WKSU on Wednesday, April 8, 2015. The red vehicle went left of center and hit the Jeep head-on. Multiple injuries were reported.

Madeleine Winer

Editor’s note: This story has been updated to reflect the Ohio State Highway Patrol’s investigation into the accident. 

Three Kent State students have been taken to area hospitals with injuries after a two-car accident on Loop Road near the WKSU radio station. 

The accident occurred around 7:15 p.m. Wednesday night when a female driver of a red sedan swerved left of center on Loop Road and hit a gray Jeep with three male passengers head-on. The Ohio State Highway Patrol said this morning that it is investigating if the female driver of the red sedan was under the influence of drugs.

All four involved are Kent State students, said university spokesman Eric Mansfield. One student refused treatment at the scene.

Sgt. T.J. Homrighausen, an Ohio State Highway Patrol trooper, said the red sedan collided with the Jeep about 495 feet from the intersection of Loop and Summit roads.

Jones said one student was ejected from one of the vehicles. He said officers are still investigating whether the other three students were also ejected from the vehicles. 

The driver of the the Jeep was taken to Robinson Memorial Hospital in Ravenna, and one of the passengers was taken to Akron General Hospital. The Jeep’s right front passenger was not wearing a seatbelt, Ohio Highway Patrol troopers said.

Both Kent Police and Fire departments responded to the scene of the accident, Mansfield said. Identities of students involved in the crash have not been reported.

Matthew Merchant and Jimmy Miller contributed to this report.

Contact Madeleine Winer at [email protected]. Contact Matthew Merchant at [email protected]. Contact Jimmy Miller at [email protected].