Walk a Mile in Their Shoes benefit set for Tuesday

Sabrina Scott

The Sexual and Relationship Violence Support Services (SRVSS) and the Women’s Center will be hosting their annual benefit walk, now called “Walk a Mile in Their Shoes” to be more gender inclusive, on Tuesday at 6 p.m.

The goal of the walk is to raise awareness for sexual violence while men walk in donated high heels along the Lester A. Lefton University Esplanade.

SRVSS and the Women’s Center have collaborated with Residence Services, Intercollegiate Athletics, CSI, Undergraduate Studies, ROTC and several Greek organizations for this cause.

Check-in will be at 4:30 p.m. in Risman Plaza near the Kiva.

SRVVS Director and Sexual Assault Response Coordinator Jennifer O’Connell said that there will be games, including hula hooping and limbo, for the male participants to play during check-in so they can get comfortable walking in their heels.

O’Connell said there will also be trivia about sexual violence.

She said that everyone will receive a ticket when they check in to have a chance to win door prizes at the end of the walk donated by local sports teams such as the Akron Rubber Ducks, Cleveland Cavaliers and groups at Kent State University.

There will also be bags of materials given to the participants by the organizations that have collaborated with SRVVS and the Women’s Center.

At 5:30 in the Kiva, Executive Director of Undergraduate Student Government Marvin Logan, the incoming Executive Director of USG Brian Cannon, and Kent State University Assistant Coach of the Men’s and Women’s Track, Phil Rickaby, will be the event’s keynote speakers.

O’Connell said that sexual violence affects everyone regardless of gender but women are at greater risk.

“Literally they’re walking in women’s shoes but also sometimes women walk around nervously wondering who’s watching them and what will happen to them,” O’Connell said. “We are not saying it mirrors the experience of what women have, but it gives them a taste”

The walk will start at the Risman Plaza at 6 pm. and will end at the Kent State University’s School of Fashion building in the front of campus.

Awards will be given to the winners of various categories such as “Ugliest Shoes” and “First to Fall”.

Sabrina Scott is the diversity reporter for The Kent Stater. Contact her at [email protected].