Performing Arts Library to host Colloquium Series

Nick Boone

The Performing Arts Library will host its two-day Colloquium Series on April 27 and 29  in the Performing Arts Library, located in D-004 of the Center for the Performing Arts.  

Joe Clark, the head of the Performing Arts Library, said the event is for people who want to present their research papers in a formal conference type setting. Graduate and undergraduate students, along with faculty from the College of the Arts, have the chance to present their research.  

Craig Resta, associate professor in the music department, said before this event started, students would write research papers for their class and present them. This event started four years ago in fall 2011.  

The chance for students to present their research in a formal setting will help prepare them for professional conferences and add to their resumes, Resta said. 

Clark also said students can present a research paper on anything in the arts and theatre area with potential topics ranging from acting, music, fashion, theatre, dance and visual art.   

Resta said this similar to a research competition since people can win “Excellence in Research Awards.”

The top undergraduate and graduate research papers will win a $250 prize, and two other papers will win an honorable mention award with a $50 prize.  

Resta said most of the the presenters are doctors or doctoral candidates, and there have been about 15 doctoral students who have presented several times at this event.  

Resta said usually there are three to four speakers who speak for about a half hour each on both days.

Resta said it is important for these students to get their research papers published because it gives them a chance to have their works cited by others. When someone’s work gets cited, it shows that it is accurate and well done and helps to get their name out into the public, he said.   

Contact Nick Boone at [email protected].