Kent State wins eight events at Doug Raymond Qualifier

Ignatius Ogbu Sports Reporter

Freshman Gavin Schoeman cleared 6’ 11” in the high jump for Kent State on Saturday to reach the eighth-best height in Kent State track and field history.

Schoeman’s jump was 3 inches higher than he had ever done before. 

“All the technical work that he’s been doing in practice has finally come together for him and put it together in the meet,” assistant track coach James Croft said. 

Schoeman said he has been working hard to make sure he is approaching the jump correctly and holding his form over the bar. 

“I have improved because since being in Kent State, I have gotten stronger as far as the weight room goes,” Schoeman said. 

Schoeman said he played basketball in high school, where the track coach saw him jump high to dunk the ball. 

“Basketball was kind of like my main thing all the way up until my junior year, the coach  pulled me to the track team and told me to try high jumping and it ended up working out pretty well,” Schoeman said. 

The Flashes won eight total events at the Doug Raymond National Qualifier at the Kent State Field House last Saturday, Feb. 13.

Senior Grace Tennant of the women’s shot put  won with a throw of 52′ 9.25″ to get her 3rd consecutive win this season. 

Tennant’s throw of 52’9.25” is the best in the conference.

Freshman Alexander Shields picked up a win in the men’s 60-meter hurdles. His time of 8.00 moved him to fourth all-time on the school record list. 

Senior Jake Wickey earned the men’s weight throw title with a throw of 69′ 5″, making it his 3rd consecutive  win.

Freshman Leah Pasqualetti won her second consecutive  women’s pole vault competition, setting a new college best (13′ 6.5″).

Ignatius Ogbu is a sportswriter. Contact him at [email protected].