College students shop for Valentine’s Day on a budget

Flower arrangement available for purchase on Valentine’s Day

Emily Mays reporter

Students in college often rely on a budget, especially when it comes to Valentine’s Day. It can be very expensive, but around Kent, some places offer inexpensive versions of the typical gift. Megan Silinsky and Loren Mazzola, both Kent State fashion majors, have bought items for Valentine’s Day with very limited budgets.

1. Flowers

For college students, spending over $50 for flowers may not be very realistic. While flowers are what most people think of when it comes to Valentine’s Day, students are less likely to buy them when the prices dramatically increase for the holiday.

Grocery stores such as Meijer, Acme and Giant Eagle are offering specials on wrapped bouquets you can pick up in stores.

Ranging from $15-$30, the options include mixed bouquets with an assortment of different flowers such as carnations, daisies and alstroemeria and classic dozen red roses that include baby’s breath.

If there is no limit to the budget, places such as bouqs.com and 1800flowers.com have arrangements from $40 to $100. These places offer more types of flower bouquets including vase arrangements. These arrangements include more of the unique flowers with larger assortment of complementary colors and styles.

2. Chocolates

Chocolates are a classic Valentine’s Day gift and can offer the most options.

Stores such as Walmart, Walgreens and CVS are convenient when shopping for their Valentine’s Day specials.

Their boxes of chocolates range from $5 to $10 in several styles and flavors. Russell Stover, Ferrero Rocher and Ghirardelli are the most advertised at the stores and offer assorted boxes, special flavor boxes and heart shaped boxes.

“Chocolates are worth spending more money, as they aren’t as short lived as flowers are and you can actually enjoy them for as long as you want,” Mazzola said.

3. Plushes

Students tend to go to one place to get all of their gifts from and go with a plush and chocolates as it is the most convenient and saves them money.

Places such as FiveBelow, Target and even Dollar Tree offer the traditional teddy bear, underwater animals and even Disney characters. The plushes are something that most college students tend to purchase over the other items.

“When buying a plush, I know it is going to last a long time and there can definitely be a sentimental value attached to it, which is why I think so many people choose to purchase them,” Silinsky said.

Emily Mays covers jobs and money. Contact her at [email protected].