Illusionist pulls the curtain behind reality

Skye McEowen

Illusionist Jim Munroe used magic and storytelling as a way to talk about God with students in his show called “The Maze,” made possible through Cru in the Student Center Ballroom on Tuesday night.

Through his show of illusion and mystery, he told students they could meet one person capable of saving them, and there’s more to reality.

“Maybe there is something bigger, better,” Munroe said. “Something going on behind the scenes, that if you know what to look for, we can make our resolutions in our own minds.” 

The first half of the show featured a variety of illusionist acts and humor that were well received from the lively audience, including a Bachelor-like matchup, vanishing phones, levitating poles and hammering a nail into a nose. This provided a unique sense of reality and mystery to the students.

At that point, the show took a turn to spirituality, where any student was welcome to leave if they wanted.

After only about 25 students left, the show continued and Munroe began to talk about his initial skepticism in religion and a significant event in his life: his battle with leukemia five years ago.

“How can there be a God if there’s things like this happening?” Munroe said in initial response to his diagnosis.

In order to live, Munroe needed a bone marrow transplant, which required DNA close enough to his so that his body wouldn’t reject it. Out of seven million candidates, there were 16 potential matches; and out of those matches, Munroe said, there was one perfect match: a 19-year-old girl.

Munroe told the audience that he is now cancer-free, which was met with thunderous applause.

“What would you do to step into a relationship with the only person who can save you of your inability to perceive reality in a way that your religion intended to?” Munroe said. “It’s bigger than anything you could possibly understand, and it’s real.”

Afterwards, Be the Match from the National Marrow Donor Program collected swabs from more than 100 interested students to add into their donor database, and are always open for more donors.

Hannah Oxley, a student leader at Cru and junior fashion merchandising major, said she did not expect so many people to stay for the segment on religion.

“Jim was effective at drawing attention to the maze of reality around us,” said Justin Dodson, director of Cru at Kent State. “We believe people can have a relationship with Jesus.”

Contact Skye McEowen at [email protected].