College of Arts and Sciences calls for artists for Stratosphere competition

Aaron Corpora

The College of Arts and Sciences is calling artists from across campus to submit artwork for the second annual Stratosphere: a juried art competition.

Undergraduate students from any major are encouraged to submit their original artwork in any medium by Feb. 27. This year’s contest theme is centered on “time” and all submitted works should relate to this theme.

Submissions will then be reviewed by Kent State School of Art alumna Candy Coating who will narrow down the pool to the top 25 finalists, said Effie Tsengas, the Communications and Marketing Director for the College of the Arts.

After submission, the finalists’ work will be displayed in the School of Art’s Downtown Gallery from April 7 to 30.

Winner will be announced April 16. The Best in Show grand prize winner will take home $1000, with additional cash prizes also up for grabs including First Runner Up and Second Runner Up. A People’s Choice Award will also be awarded to the finalist whose work is noticed and voted by the most at the gallery, as stated in a Kent State press release.

“Last year’s Stratosphere drew students from a wide variety of majors, including chemistry, business, education, dance, art, visual and communication design and psychology,” said John R. Crawford, dean in the College of the Arts in a press release. “The prize money is a direct result of the Fee for Fee, and another way the College of the Arts is giving back to the Kent State students. We encourage everyone to participate.”

For eligibility and art requirement guidelines, visit: https://www2.kent.edu/artscollege/CurrentStudents/stratosphere.cfm

Contact Aaron Corpora at [email protected].