Wick Poetry Center looks forward to spring semester

Aaron Corpora

The little house on the Kent State University Esplanade is planning for an eventful spring.

The Wick Poetry Center, which opened its doors this past fall, will host the first of many series of poetry readings Feb. 11.

The center hosted several poets last semester for readings, but it will be taking the series a step further.

Rita Dove, an Akron native and former US Poet Laureate, will come to Kent State April 2. Dove served as the Poet Laureate from 1993 to 1995 and will be participating in a Q&A session in the University Library in the morning. 

“We have a very exciting programming semester, and we’re especially looking forward to the poetry reading by former US Poet Laureate Rita Dove,” program manager Jessica Jewell said. 

In addition to Dove, Wick will host a number of other readers as they are looking for new and exciting ways to make a bigger name for themselves on campus.

Alex Fabrizio, a graduate of Ohio State University, will be the first reader of the series. Her works have been published in literary journals “Subtropics”and “Southeast Review.”

Karly Milvet, a graduate student at Kent State who works at Wick, said that they like to bring in poets who are starting to make a name for themselves. 

“I think what’s cool about our reading series is that we kind of get them on the up-and-coming,” Milvet said.

Also reading will be 2014 Pushcart Prize nominee Karen Schubert.

At the end of the semester, Wick will host its annual Giving Voice performance, where the center reaches out to children, veterans, senior citizens and hospital patients, according to the Wick website. The performance will feature local poets of all ages performing original work. 

All of the material is created in Wick’s various outreach programs, including workshops led by Kent State undergraduates in a program called “Teaching Poetry in the Schools.”

Kent State President Beverly Warren also will read an original poem at the Giving Voice performance. 

Another feature for the springtime will be the use of the outdoor amphitheater for poetry readings and hanging out. 

For students and locals, Wick works as a convenient spot to study or read, especially in the attic that overlooks front campus.

Graduate student Ryan Lind said that he enjoys spending time upstairs.

“It’s just a quiet, low traffic place,” Land said. “You can get a lot of reading or writing done and just kind of be alone.” 

With its decorated interior, exterior design and roomy outdoor amphitheater, the spring of 2015 promises to be one of many poetic memories at Wick.

Contact Aaron Corpora at [email protected].