LGBTQ spring-kick off to welcome new director

Ken Ditlevson, director of LGBTQ in the Student Center, is here at Kent State as a resource to assist students with any LGBTQ questions or problems on campus. He is also in charge of programming and marketing for the center. Ditlevson hopes to make Kent State as accepting and safe as he possibly can.

Kianna Bugglin

The LGBTQ Student Center will host a spring kick-off Thursday, Jan. 15 from 4-6 p.m. at the Student Multicultural Center in room 206 of the Kent State Student Center.

The reception will welcome newly appointed LGBTQ Student Center Director Ken Ditlevson.  

Ditlevson said the welcoming reception will be mainly a meet and greet where students, faculty and staff can get to know the new director.  

“It will be a less threatening place to make suggestions and make introductions,” Ditlevson said. 

He said he hopes students will realize that the LGBTQ Student Center is open to all, not just members of the LGBTQ community.

The event will also include the unveiling of universal restroom maps for campus that will provide gender-neutral restrooms for those who need them.

Brandon Stephens, president of PRIDE! Kent, said that he is looking forward to what Ditlevson will bring to the LGBTQ community at the university.

“Ken has a vast amount of experience working with the LGBTQ community and event planning for the LGBTQ community in the greater Akron area,” Stephens said. “Ken’s impressive background in counseling services also provides our LGBTQ student community with a unique opportunity to be able to have someone to talk comfortably with about personal issues while feeling safe.”

Contact Kianna Bugglin at [email protected].