CSI to host annual leadership conference

Samantha Ickes

The Center for Student Involvement will host its annual leadership conference Jan. 24 to help students develop leadership skills and styles.

“The whole idea is to give our every day students an opportunity to learn more about their current leadership style and enhance their current skill set,” said Della Marshall, senior associate director for CSI.

Students can attend the conference and individual workshops between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Lunch will be provided for those who attend.

The conference will divide into groups based on the individual’s preference. There are four different sessions with four to five workshops in each session.

Some of these sessions inform students on membership development, resume building, creating social media brands and budgeting.

CSI designed the workshops to encourage students to become better leaders and take charge of their lives both academically and financially.

“It’s a brand new start. It’s a brand new year. What can we do better?” said Shannon Ashford, graduate assistant for the CSI.

CSI asks all students who attend to wear business attire when attending the conference as a way to “learn dress protocol” in a professional environment, Marshall said.

The conference will also feature Eric Sachetta as its keynote speaker, Ashford said. Sachetta wrote a book on leadership titled “8 Mandates of Personal Leadership” and will discuss how these mandates can be applied to daily life.

Ashford said she became involved with the program because she wants to help the students who are not typical leaders. She wants to teach new leadership skills and styles to those who are more shy and apprehensive in an effort to help those individuals become future leaders.

The CSI Leadership Program has more than 200 students registered for the event. Marshall and Ashford ask if students who wish to attend to contact them directly via phone at 330-672-2480 or email at [email protected] and [email protected].

Contact Samantha Ickes at [email protected].