Library Live information sessions to target faculty, graduate students

Olivia Young

Library Live is an information and resources conference targeted at faculty and graduate students and will be held on Thursday, Nov. 6 in the University Library.

This one-day conference, taking place between 9 a.m. and 3:15 p.m., offers participants the opportunity for hands-on learning and information about resources and services offered by University Libraries.

During the conference, there will be four opportunities to attend throughout the day, and at each time, four sessions going will be going on, making a total 16 different sessions, said Ken Burhanna, assistant dean of University Libraries.

The sessions covered at Library Live will include how to write a literature review, the connection to high quality health information, copyright basics and “Talk Back to the Dean,” in which attendees can meet with the dean and share their opinions, Burhanna said.

“(For) one session, we have invited a trainer from Information Services to show people how to use Google SketchUp to make 3-D models,” Burhanna said. “Other than that, this time, they’re all library presenters. Sometimes there might be a faculty member from outside the University Libraries that’s invited to co-present.”

The conference is not designed or focused toward undergraduates, Burhanna said, but interested undergraduate students are welcome to sign up. Originally designed for faculty, Burhanna said that a lot of graduate students have teaching assignments where they are doing in-depth research, so the event is helpful to graduate students, too.

“We hope that one, they learn about our resources and services we offer, that they learn something new so that they can go back and make use of the library resources and services in their course, or in supporting their research,” Burhanna said. “Secondly, we hope that we may make a connection with the librarians and library staff because then collaborations build out of that.”

Contact Olivia Young at [email protected].