KSU Trumbull celebrates “ChalkWalk”

Kianna Bugglin

The Kent State University Trumbull campus library hosted a sidewalk chalk art competition Wednesday afternoon.

The “ChalkWalk” gave students a colorful opportunity to take a break from their studies and release some creativity energy.

“I really enjoyed how I was able to bring out my inner child,” said Leah Kubaitis, a junior veterinary technology major. “I honestly can’t remember the last time I was able to grab some sidewalk chalk and go crazy.”

This is the second year for the competition and students were encouraged to invite their families, said Rose Guerrieri, library director at the Trumbull campus and organizer of the event.

The event ran all day and Guerrieri said she expected many participants.

“The purpose of the event is for the students to have fun,” Guerrieri said. “My favorite part is just being able to see the students and their families come together and have a good time with the chalk.”

Phillip Buntin, associate professor of art at Trumbull, judged the artwork. The top three pieces received a gift card to the campus bookstore, Dunkin’ Donuts or Taco Bell.

Guerriei said the ‘chalkwalk’ was also a great way for the many art students on campus to take a break and reveal their true creativity to the rest of the student body.

“It really helps the students use the creative part of their brains and take a break from the studies,” said Amy Royer, library associate.

Contact Kianna Bugglin at [email protected].