2014 Homecoming Queen Candidate Profiles

Photo

Joy Yala
Public health major, senior

What was your initial reaction when you found out you were selected to be on the Homecoming Court?

“I was on duty that night, so I thought it was a duty call … so when Emily called and was like ‘ I called to tell you you’re on [the] Homecoming Court’ I was like are you sure? Are you serious this is happening right now? I thought I was being pranked because I was in RA mode at that time. I was shocked and it took me a couple of days for it to sink in. Because where I’m from, back home we don’t do homecoming so it was a new concept. It was something I didn’t think I was going to get. But now I’m excited, shocked, but still excited.”

Why should people vote for you to be Homecoming Queen?

“I think people should vote for me because I am a standout. The theme for Kent’s Homecoming is ‘Kent State Pride is Worldwide,’ and I’m an international student so it’s the perfect thing. It’s actually the reason why I applied for Homecoming Court- because I wanted to represent the international students. Also because of my involvement and pride for Kent State. In everything I’ve done; from being an RA, being a Student Success Leader, being a Flashguide and a lot of different things that I’ve done, I’ve always embodied Kent Pride through everything I do and encouraged people to get involved and excited about Kent State.”

What advice would you give to freshman about Homecoming at KSU?

“I would say enjoy Homecoming, all four [of your] Homecomings. Make sure you’re in the parade … and show off your pride for Kent State. You’re here for a reason and Kent State is your new home and I think Homecoming is really the best time for you to embrace Kent State through all of the different activities that are going on, from the football game to even the smaller things that are going on. So embrace Kent State and embrace being a Golden Flash.”

What is your favorite Homecoming memory?

“My favorite Homecoming memory is my first Homecoming because it was the first time I ever celebrated Homecoming and I got to learn about it. And it was my first time being in the parade and it was in it with the cause of Public Health and Public Health Student Alliance and I enjoyed showing off my pride for Kent State even though I was new and a freshman. I was starting to like Kent State so I really enjoyed it. I had so much fun with all of my friends. And the game, even though it rained.”

Photo

Taylor Winter
Senior health communications, senior

“People should vote for me because I’m everywhere on campus. I believe that I’ve made a good name for myself and I can really relate to anybody who goes to Kent State because of my background story of how I got to Kent State and now that I’m here. I feel that I embody the typical Kent State student. Because I can relate to other people, that’s why I think people should vote for me. And I’m a really fun person! “

“Go to everything. Go the events. Make this the best experience and tradition that you can look forward to everything single year. Being a Flashguide I wanted to implement to students how exciting it is to be here at Kent State so now that they’re here I want them to continue to do things for Kent State. And you never know, they could be me one day.”

“My favorite Homecoming memory would probably be the parade last year. It was the first time I was in the parade and just seeing everybody get excited — you didn’t even know who these people were but they were just excited to be back in Kent, hanging out seeing their friends, cheering you on … just seeing the whole community was an awesome experience.”

How will you celebrate if you are selected Homecoming Queen?

“I would probably cry, I don’t know, I can get very emotional sometimes, but just going to all my friends who supported me all this distance and giving them a hug and saying thank you. Going to my supervisors and really telling that they made a difference in my life. Just taking a moment to appreciate everyone who has been there for me, who’s had my back and shared in my success and taking a minute to thank them for all they’ve done.”

Photo

Brie Jutte
Interpersonal communications, senior

Why should people vote for you to be Homecoming queen?

“I think people should vote for me because I always had a true love for Kent State. I toured a lot of different schools when I was searching for colleges and I just had that it feeling that Kent State was where I belonged. I think the tagline on the library kind of gets to you, like you belong here. Yeah I do, I do belong here. I’ve always had a big excitement for Kent State for blue and gold and the black squirrels. I like showing that spirit to other people and making other people feel like this is their home too.”

Why did you decide to apply to be on homecoming court?

“It’d just be a cool way to end my four years at Kent State and a cool thing to do as a senior. I thought it’d just be really fun to represent the students and it’d be a neat experience.”

How has Kent State impacted your life?

“Kent State helped me discover what I wanted to do as a career. I’ve made some of the closest friends ever from Kent State. Through all of my involvement on campus I decided I wanted to go into student affairs. So I’m going to hopefully go to grad school for student affairs to be able to make other students feel the way I did here at Kent. I feel like I’m at home, I feel like I’m where I belong and I want to be able to do that for other students. “

How have you been involved at Kent State since your freshman year?

“I started out getting involved with Hall Council as a freshman, and I was also involved with TV2 a little bit. I wanted to do more student leadership positions so I took the peer mentor workshop and my sophomore year I was a student success leader and I stayed in Hall Council as well. I took the RA course so when I was a junior I could be an RA. I was a flashguide in between those two summers. I also had a job at the admissions call center. Now I’m a senior and with all my involvement in hall council I decided to be a part of Kent Interhall council. I’m president of KIC which has been very exciting and opened up a lot of opportunities for me to get involved. I’m the vice president of Kent Student Ambassadors this year.”

Photo

Kathryn Turner
Nutrition and dietetics, senior

How have you been involved at KSU since your freshman year?

“My freshmen year I was the Director of Public Relations on the hall council in Prentice Hall. I was an RA in Wright Hall for my sophomore and junior year. I’ve also been involved with the Campus Kitchen Project and dabbled with the Child Development Center and other service opportunities.”

What was your initial reaction when you found out you were selected to be on Homecoming court?

“I had an exam the next day, and I couldn’t even study because I was so nervous. My friend had his phone on the table and every time it would buzz, I thought I was getting the phone call! I immediately called my family, waking them up, and told them that they had to come to Kent. They don’t really visit that much so that’s another reason why I was so excited.”

“For my freshmen year homecoming, my friends and I painted up for the game, and it ended up raining so hard, there was paint everywhere!”

Why did you decide to apply to be on homecoming court in the first place?

“I was really nervous at first but I thought, why-not? This was another part of Kent State that I get to be a part of.”

Photo

Megan Corder
Public relations, senior

“When I had the opportunity to be supported for court and I wanted to apply because …I’ve come to this place and I’ve made it my home, I would love to be a part of this celebration because this celebration is a bunch of other people who have also made this place their home. Honoring people that have gone and have Kent State still in their hearts. I wanted that opportunity because Kent State has been so instrumental to my personal growth.”

“I love Kent State, Kent State is my home. I have met people that I will stay in touch with forever, I’ve gone to conferences representing Kent State, I’ve had such a unique opportunity to be involved at Kent State. So, it would be flattering for people to recognize that and to help me. It would be an honor for my love for Kent State to be returned by the people of Kent State.”

How do you best show your Kent State spirit?

“I probably talk about Kent State so much. I love to wear Kent State apparel. I have a Kent State pin, and I go to a lot of conferences for residence life, so I always wear my pin and I’m really proud of it. I’m always talking about Kent and wearing my Kent Stare apparel. It’s hard not to talk about something when you like it so much.”

How has Kent State impacted your life?

“Kent State forced me to grow from an awkward freshman who wasn’t really sure what was going on to this place where I am a better person because of Kent State. I can have better relationships and I can be a better advocate for change because I’ve had the opportunity. I really believe in excellence in action because my teachers, my peers, my organizations have expected nothing but excellence from me.”

Photo

Meg Denman
Integrated health studies and pre-med, senior

How will you celebrate if you win Homecoming queen?

“If I had the honor to be homecoming queen, having that support of Kent State students would be so special to me. Especially being in the process of applying to medical school and looking into the future, this will be the peak point in my life because the next four years of my life will involve my head in a textbook.”

“I’ve had so many leadership opportunities, and one experience has lead me to the next. I think having the opportunity of being on homecoming court will give me a chance to bring out those leadership qualities that I’ve gained from the Student Quality Advisory Committee. I have so much pride for Kent State, and I honestly adore this university, and I feel like I would serve as a role model to freshmen students who look up to the homecoming court.”

Click here to learn more about this year’s Homecoming King Candidates

All photos by Tyler Hill.

Contact Gabrielle Martinez at [email protected].

Contact Cheyenne Perry at [email protected].

Contact Joy Moorer at [email protected].