Men’s golf finishes fourth place in Columbus

Ray Strickland

The Kent State men’s golf team shot 22-over-par at the Jack Nicklaus Invitational in Columbus on Monday to finish in fourth place.

The Flashes moved up one spot after shooting 5-over-par in the final round with a total score of 289.

“I am pleased with the improvement, and we got some really good rounds, Kent State coach Herb Page said. “The nice thing about this team is that they don’t quit.”

The host of the tournament, Ohio State University, came out victorious at the Scarlet Course, finishing with a score of 7-over-par. Purdue finished 12 shots behind the Buckeyes in second place at 19-over-par.

Freshman Chase Johnson continued his stellar play in the final round, shooting a 1-under-par and finishing the tournament in second place. On the 13th hole, Johnson was tied for first place, but he double-bogeyed the 14th hole.

He finished two shots behind leader Matt Green from Kansas State.

“Right off the bat, I got off to a good start,” Johnson said. “I was hitting fairways and greens all the time, playing smart golf, executing all my shots that I looked at.”

Johnson said he was originally nervous when he competed in tournaments because of his rookie status, but said he now feels more comfortable due to his ability to play well on tough golf courses.

“I am starting to settle into it,” Johnson said. “There is always something good or clutch that I did to keep myself in (tournaments) or keep myself going. The biggest thing is not to give up and stop making stupid mistakes.”

Senior Taylor Zoller shot a 4-over-par to tie for 11th place, and freshman Ian Holt shot his best round of the tournament in the final round Monday to place 28th overall at 9-over-par. Sophomore Josh Whalen, playing as an individual, shot a 7-over-par, and junior Sebastian Bendsen shot 3-over-par in the final round for an overall score of 12-over-par and finished in 39th place. Freshman Spencer Dobbs went 18-over-par for 51st place.

Page said his team is improving and competing well. Although the Flashes are not the team he wants them to be right now, because they still have to learn to be more consistent, he said they are vastly improving.

The Flashes will head to Johnson, Tennessee on Oct. 10-12 for the Bank of Tennessee Tournament hosted at Blackthorn Golf Course. 

Contact Ray Strickland at [email protected].