New website connects community to projects on campus

Carolyn Pippin

Kent State University’s Division of Institutional Advancement launched a new website focusing on three of its construction projects using webcams to stream the construction live.

The website, www.foe.kent.edu, is used to fundraise for projects of the Foundations of Excellence: Building the Future Initiative, a program that includes new building construction, upgrades and new spaces, according to a university press release.

Three projects currently appear on the site, including the Aeronautics and Technology Building, the Center for Visual Arts, and the Center for Architecture and Environmental Design.

The Aeronautics and Technology Building construction is almost complete, and the Center for Visual Arts will take another year or two, said Deborah McGuinness, associate director of Advancement Communication.

A ground-breaking ceremony for The Center for Architecture and Environmental Design is set for Friday, Oct. 3.

Fundraising stems from donors having the opportunity to name parts of each facility. Interested contributors are able to go on the website and see naming opportunities to name rooms, projects and programs.

“Those who are interested in figuring out more information about these projects and giving can look at the different building descriptions and look at what the impact it will have on our students and our region,” said Emily Vincent, director of University Media Relations.

Donation possibilities are listed in both a table view and map view.

“The map view is actually a floor plan of the building itself so that you can see a list of what’s available in any facility for any donation,” McGuinness said.

The interactive website also tells the status of each room, project or program.

“Potential donors can go in and view exactly what is available and pursue anything they might be interested in,” McGuinness said.

Webcams are set up at the sites of the Aeronautics and Technology building and the Center for Visual Arts sites.

“They’re live,” McGuinness said. “You can click on them and see exactly what is going on at any place and time.”

The webcams gives donors, who may not be able to visit the campus, the ability to see and keep track of the progress of each project.

“The donors will be able to see and be a part of the excitement of everything that is going on in campus right now,” McGuinness said.

The Office of the University Architect manages the webcams, and its cameras are linked to the Foundations of Excellence website.

Students can also benefit from the information on the website, Vincent said.

“For students, it’s a great way to learn about what’s coming in terms of the facilities to help serve them,” Vincent said.

The website also features renderings of the buildings.

“People can see and envision in their mind’s eye what the buildings will look like when they’re complete,” McGuinness said.

Contact Carolyn Pippin at [email protected].