Prioritize your Passions

Multitasking+Student

Multitasking Student

Joy TaMar Moorer

Brandon Stephens, junior criminology and justice studies major, is constantly on the move.  Not only is he on the executive board of PRIDE!Kent and the College Democrats, but he also has an internship within the office of Student Success Programming, a part-time job, teaches an FYE course and has a full class schedule.

For Stephens, the idea of multitasking is more about using time wisely than doing everything all at once.

“There will be times when I’m sitting here in the office working on things for PRIDE!, but also doing homework. Or if I’m at work, I’ll be sending emails … just trying to do as much as I can, using my time as wisely as possible,” he said.

Between handling a job, attending classes and being active in organizations — for active students, the day is gone before it starts. If one’s schedule is a bit overwhelming, students find ways to manage their time.

Finding ways to use time wisely also works for Kevin Otubu, entrepreneurship major and Undergraduate Student Government programming director. Other than being a part of USG, he’s a part of the Financial Management Association (FMA), a peer mentor for the College of Business and is the recruitment advisor for his fraternity Sigma Alpha Epsilon. With his busy schedule, full of meetings and classes, Otubu works to make use of his down time by getting his homework done.

“Sunday, Saturday and Friday are my least busy days, so it’s then when I try to get most of my work done … (when there’s) stuff online I need to finish, so I try to get that done two weeks ahead of time,” he said. “It’s about knowing what’s important.”

Understanding one’s schedule and what level of importance a meeting or assignment is helps create a balance.

“School is first. I couldn’t do all these things if it weren’t for school. If it ever gets too hectic, I’ll cancel this or reschedule that,” Otubu said. “School is my number one priority.” 

Being aware of what’s important not only applies for academics, but also helps those who are active in organizations. Stephens said that during a meeting, being focused on the task at hand without worrying about other things helps with prioritizing.

“It’s like in a PRIDE! meeting, I go into president mode and I’m only doing that. I’m concentrating on every member … that’s when I have to turn everything off for a couple hours on Thursday nights, and pay attention to what’s going on,” he said.

But even the most organized schedule can be off balance at times. Stephens said sometimes time and dates may overlap and everything becomes overwhelming. It’s during those moments one has to re-adjust and refocus.

“There are times when things are overlapping a lot more than I would like them to,” Stephens said. “But for me it helps to surround myself with friends to help distress so that I can get through it all.”

Otubu agreed. He said when his schedule becomes overwhelming he looks to see where he can cut back and refocuses his mind on what’s important.

At times it may feel like there aren’t enough hours in a day, but there are enough hours in the day to get what’s important done. Both Otubu and Stephens said it’s about making sure that the list of what is important is in order and that each thing, whether its work, schoolwork or being active in organizations, receives the attention it deserves.

“It’s important to continue to do things that set you apart, but it’s also important to remember that we’re all students and something (has) got give, academics have to come first.” Stephen said. “Prioritize your passions and do that.”

Contact Joy Moorer at [email protected].