Psychological services offers emotional support for students

Caitlin Siegfried

Sometimes it’s not just being away from home or the late nights spent bonding with your new friends that can be difficult and confusing. It can be your heavy course load, your roommate whom you just can’t seem to find common ground with or you’re finding it difficult to adjust to college. Whatever the problem is the Psychological Services offered by the DeWeese Health Center is here to help. 

Psychological Services, located on the second floor of the Deweese Health Center on Eastway Dr. across from Beall Hall, is a place where students can receive confidential mental health services from licensed psychologists and counselors. This is not some scary doctors office with that weird antiseptic smell commonly associated with hospitals. Instead, when you enter their offices you will be greeted by a friendly receptionist and then meet with one of six psychologists in individual, private rooms that are anything but intimidating.  If students are scared to come alone they are encouraged to bring a close friend or family member to act as support.

Depression, anxiety, and post-traumatic stress disorder are just a few of the many reasons why a student might seek counseling.

“[We provide] comprehensive services to help students who may have had a pre-existing condition where they need to continue services and we would also help students who are having a kind of adjustment or mood disorder problems when they come to Kent,” said Chief Psychologist, Dr. Pamela Farer-Singleton. “Of course many people leave their partners at home and that becomes trying or difficult, as well as just being in a large university, living with other people that are new to you, the academic demand can sometimes be difficult for some students too.”

The doctors of Psychological Services have been making a campus-wide effort to advertise the importance of mental wellness for the past 19 years through their National Depression Screening Day held every October. Last year the event had more than 440 participants. This year the event will be held  Oct. 9 on the second floor of the Student Center from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Students, faculty and staff are encouraged to come and complete a confidential questionnaire that only takes a few minutes to complete.

“Many [students] realize something is wrong, but they are surprised to know that it’s really a disorder that can be treated versus a weakness that they need to be embarrassed about,” Farer-Singleton said.

Participants have the opportunity after to review their results with a licensed clinician who will help them to decide if they should seek ongoing services with any of the other clinics on campus. 

All major insurance companies are accepted by the clinic and no student is ever denied service because they cannot afford the co-pay.  Kent State does offer students the option to enroll in the student health insurance program, which is available through United Healthcare Student Resources. Students can learn more about the program by going online to www.uhcsr.com or calling 330-672-8251. Enrollment for the program ends on September 11, 2014. Regardless of whether or not a student can pay for their treatment, the DeWeese Health Center will always see any student who seeks treatment.

Call 330-672-2487 to set up an appointment.

Hours of operation consists Monday through Wednesday and Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Thursday 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.

For a free comprehensive online screening go to: http://www.mentalhealthscreening.org/screening/screening/default.aspx

The keyword is kent.

Caitlin Siegfried is a web and copy editor for the Summer Kent Stater. Contact her at [email protected].