University food truck begins serving unique menu on campus

USG hosts Sounds of Summer on the Student Green Friday, June 6, 2014. Fork in the road Food truck provided food for the event.

MaKayla Brown

Kristen Kobe

Fork in the Road, Kent State University’s new food truck operated by staff from dining services, is serving up specialty items around campus with its yellow, state-of-the-art truck.

The truck is primarily located by front campus where students don’t have access to dining halls, said Christian Booher, executive chef for dining services.

Other college campus’s food trucks helped form the idea for Fork in the Road. Booher said it has been talked about by a number of people in Dining Services for years, but it was only recently that he and his colleagues developed the homemade recipes for the truck.

“You can’t get this food anywhere on campus,” Booher said. “We wanted it to be a separate menu.”

Since opening, Fork in the Road has received positive feedback from its customers, said freshman nursing major Aaron Brown, who started working for dining services this year. Fork in the Road is his first on campus job dealing with food, he said. 

“This is a whole new experience for me,” Brown said. “I’m still working on the way I cook fries.  I still haven’t perfected it yet.”

Fork in the Road’s unique menu features items like burgers with roasted garlic aioli, homemade ketchup and signature bacon, pulled pork that was smoked on campus, and mahi-mahi tacos.  The truck also provides vegetarian options and cheesecake on a stick.   

By having the truck located near front campus, Dining Services hopes that more students benefit from the food options. Graduate psychology student Liz Jeschke, who works in White Hall, said Fork in the Road has food that is better than what is served at White Hall’s café. 

“I had the fish tacos,” Jeschke said. “They were absolutely incredible.” 

Fork in the Road will eventually be busier than what it has been since beginning operation, Booher said.

“So far, it has been a lot of fun and a learning experience,” he said. “If we’re super busy, maybe we’ll add another one.”

Fork in the Road’s first official day serving its unique menu on campus was Monday, June 30

Contact Kristen Kobe at [email protected].