Tyler’s bond raised; pretrial date set

Quavaugntay Tyler Mugshot

Madeleine Winer

Laurie Pittman, Portage County Common Pleas Judge raised freshman Quavaugntay Tyler’s bond to $50,000 from $40,000 and set his pretrial date for June.

If Tyler can pay $5,000 — 10 percent of the bond — Pittman said he will be placed on electronically monitored house arrest at his expense for medical reasons.

Tyler’s pretrial date is set for June 20 at 9:30 a.m. in the Portage County Common Pleas Court at the Portage County Municipal Courthouse in Ravenna. He is scheduled to appear in the Portage County Common Pleas Court on June 24 at 9 a.m. at the courthouse.

Tyler’s defense attorney asked for him to be let off on a personal recognizance bond because he has had three seizures since he has been in jail since the April 2 incident. Deputies took Tyler to Robinson Memorial Hospital in Ravenna for emergency treatment.

A grand jury indicted Tyler, a criminology and justice studies major, on counts of carrying a concealed weapon, inciting a panic and tampering with evidence last Friday.

Tyler, 24, said he has a history of seizures at his initial court appearance via video Monday, April 7, at the municipal courthouse.

Tyler is accused of firing a 9 mm. handgun the night of Wednesday, April 2, during a domestic dispute with two female students in the parking lot of Bowman Hall. Tyler injured his left hand and caused a three-hour lockdown at the university’s main campus.

Before fleeing campus, Tyler is accused of leaving the gun with Breana Francis, a freshman exploratory major and resident of third-floor Johnson Hall. Francis, who was charged on counts of tampering with evidence, will be arraigned in the Portage County Common Pleas Court in connection with the case.

Contact Madeleine Winer at [email protected].