Senior Week celebrates KSU grads

Justin Graci

Seniors will have the opportunity to celebrate their final week at Kent State with the Alumni Association from April 28 to May 2 for its first-annual Senior Week.

The week includes events such as Monday’s Wine at the Williamson Alumni Center, where students can learn networking tips from alumni. On Tuesday, students can attend Donuts and Debt, where Dr. David Dumpe will give an hour-long presentation on how students can survive their debt.

Students have the chance to show their Kent State pride at Wednesday’s KSU Spirit event, where they will post how prideful they are on social media, and five students will win a spirit pack.

Thursday’s event, Flash the Town, encourages students to pick up a special shirt from the alumni office and wear it all over town, where they will receive special deals from local businesses all night. Friday’s event will be Move Out and Scoop Out, where students will receive the help they need to move out of their homes, and boxes will be provided at the Williamson Alumni Center.

Carrie Circosta, assistant director of student and recent graduate programs, has been setting the event up for the last few months and said she loves giving students opportunities such as these.

“Part of what I do is that I want to educate students about the alumni association, as well as help them enjoy their time here,” she said. “I put this event together to help the students celebrate their last week properly and give them some really helpful tips for their future.”

Circosta asked several students what they would like help with and used the feedback to create some of the events.

“It’s a mix of preparing students for graduation and making it all memorable for them,” she said. “Some students are worried about debt, and others were worried about meeting professionals, so I made events to correlate with those.”

While Circosta was planning the week out, she went to the Business Administration Building to find a professor to give students tips to deal with their debt and was referred to David Dumpe, a finance associate professor.

“So many of our students are graduating with around $30,000 in debt,” he said. “So I just agreed to do an hour-long presentation to help out the students and make them realize that there are a lot of ways to manage their money. I was more than willing to help when I got the offer.”

Senior Week is something that Circosta said she hopes to do again in the future and hopes students enjoy the events she has planned.

“I just want the seniors to have one good last week,” she said. “I remember when I was a senior and how stressful the last week of school can be. I think the students are going to benefit greatly from these events, and I think they’re also going to have a great time.”

Check out more information on Senior Week at the KSU Alumni website: http://www.ksualumni.org/s/401/social.aspx?sid=401&pgid=2077&gid=1&cid=3969&ecid=3969&post_id=0

Contact Justin Graci at [email protected].