Russian Language and Cultural Society encourages study abroad

Chelsey Milkovich

The interest in studying abroad in Russia brought students to Van Campen Hall on Wednesday at 5:30 p.m. for the Russian Information night sponsored by the Russian Language and Cultural Society and Kent State University Education Abroad.  

Students were presented with information regarding reasons to study abroad and opportunities in Russia by Danielle Martin, senior French translation major and president of the Russian Language and Cultural Society, and organization members Meredith Pontius, junior international relations major, and Roman Malevannyy, junior Russian translation major.

Pontius, who studied in Saint Petersburg, Russia, through third-party provider American Institute for Foreign Study, discussed the reasons to study abroad and why it is so important for educational benefits.

“Studying abroad is a great resume builder,” Pontius said. “Most businesses are extremely interested in students who are globally educated. They want people who have a broader perspective and can see the world from a different scale than their own.”

Pontius said while expenses of study abroad are always a concern for students, there are plenty of options to help fund a study abroad trip.

“There are always tons of scholarship opportunities, you just have to find them and be creative,” Pontius said. “Another option students don’t normally think of is approaching potential businesses to work for who can help you finance your trip. The opportunities for funding your study abroad trip expenses are truly endless.”

Ediz Kaykayoglu, assistant director of education abroad, said that he believes safety is one of the most important aspects of study abroad.

“The most important thing to do before choosing your destination of study abroad is to do your research,” Kaykayoglu said. “You want to make sure the destination you choose is safe and informational before deciding you want to spend a semester there.”

Malevannyy, who studied in Volgograd, Russia, said he believes the opportunity for education while studying abroad is endless.

“When you go through a program through the University, you’re going to be put in an environment where every situation is educational,” he said. “If you plan to go to Russia, you will be engaged in Russian culture and surrounded by Russians who want to learn just as much about you as an American as you do about them.”

Malevannyy said he believes the best time for students to travel is while they are in still in school.

“When it comes down to it, you are already in an interesting financial situation,” Malevannyy said. “Whether you are taking out loans or are given scholarships, now is the time to take advantage of the opportunity and do something that will greatly impact your life.”

Kent State study abroad is currently offering four different Russian options including an exchange program with the Linguistics University of Nizhny Novgorod located in Nizhny Novgorod, Russia. The other programs offered through International Student Exchange Programs include the University of Latvia located in Latvia, The University of Tartu located in Estonia and Vilnius University located in Lithuania.

Chelsey Milkovich at [email protected].