Libraries to host first ever Student Appreciation Day

Christopher Woods

The University Libraries are planning to give back to students as they host their first ever Student Appreciation Day on Monday.

“Student Appreciation Day is an event that the libraries put together to show our appreciation for the hard work that we see students putting in,” University Libraries assistant dean Ken Burhanna said. “Our libraries are vibrant and full of activity, and that’s because students are coming in and engaging in our resources, services and our spaces, and we appreciate that.”

Burhanna said students can expect refreshments, giveaways, therapy dogs and a photo booth at the event.

“We’ll actually be giving away $1,000 in bookstore gift certificates  — $100 at each of the library locations, and the University Library will have an additional $100 prize if you go up to the 12th floor and check out our Special Collections and Archives.”

With the University Library hosting Late Night at the Library at the beginning of the semester and the Stress-Free Zone during finals week, Burhanna said the library was looking for something to do mid-semester.

“We’ve always thought, ‘Is there something in the middle of the semester that can be a part of this program where we’re engaging students in a fun way?’” Burhanna said.

Burhanna said Joe Clark, head of the Performing Arts Library in the Center for the Performing Arts, previously held the event with great success.

The following libraries will be participating in Student Appreciation Day: the Architecture Library located in 309 Taylor Hall, the Fashion Library located in 131 Rockwell Hall, the Map Library located in 410 McGilvrey Hall and the Performing Arts Library located in D-004 in the Center for the Performing Arts.

Hilary Kennedy, manager of the University Library’s Student Multimedia Studio, said the studio will host a variety of activities throughout the event.

“There will be 3-D printing, 3-D pen demonstrations and interactive fun and games with our new Leap Motion Controller,” Kennedy said. “It will be a quick break for students and a chance to forget their busy schedules and heavy workloads for a moment to enjoy an event that is meant to celebrate them.”

Sophomore fashion merchandising major Carly Emge said she is looking forward to the event.

“I think I’ll be able to see the library in a different perspective,” Emge said. “I’m usually only there when I’m studying, so it is nice that they are having this day in celebration of us. I’ll definitely check it out and pet the dogs.”

Kennedy hopes students leave the event “feeling the love” from the library staff.

“It’s a friendly reminder that we are wholeheartedly here for students as a happy haven to support students throughout their time here at Kent State,” Kennedy said.

For more information about Student Appreciation Day, visit libguides.library.kent.edu/appreciation.

Contact Christopher Woods at [email protected].