Druesedow named distinguished honors faculty member

Photo courtesy of Kent State.

Photo courtesy of Kent State.

Drew Jones

Jean Druesedow, director of the Kent State University Museum, is the recipient of the 2014 Distinguished Honors Faculty Award.   

Druesedow is the 24th recipient of the award, which recognizes excellence in honors teaching.  

“I was flabbergasted,” Druesedow said on winning the award. “I was absolutely thrilled and absolutely stunned.”

Druesedow has been the director of the University Museum since 1993. She is also an adjunct faculty member in the School of Fashion, where she has taught the honors Costume History class for the last 10 years.

Druesedow was selected by honors students with input from the dean on the basis of strong teaching performance, advising of independent work and service provided to the Honors College and its students.  All of these aspects make the award even more special, she said.

“It’s a wonderful honor, and it comes from the students, which makes it all the more wonderful,” she said. “I sort of expect full-time faculty to do that, but I have really worked with a number of students, and my students have gone on to do interesting things,”Druesedow said.

Sophomore fashion merchandising major Hanna Bioni said she was pleased that Druesedow was the recipient of the award.  

“As a fashion major, I love the fashion aspect of the museum,” Bioni said. “I’ve never had her in class, but judging how she directs and keeps the new, unique fashion trends going on the museum, I’m sure she’s great and a well-deserved winner of the award.”

Druesedow will be honored as the recipient of the Distinguished Honors Faculty Award April 20 at 11:30 a.m. during the Senior Honors Luncheon at the Kent Student Center.

Contact Drew Jones at [email protected].