Wright Hall staff finds discarded bottles of urine in trash cans

Martin Harp

Wright Hall staff and students faced sanitary concerns around their hallways last month.

David Haas, residence hall director for Wright Hall, said the housekeeping staff had found bottles of urine in the trash cans. Haas said it was a health and safety concern for both the staff and residents of Wright Hall.

“We want to make sure our students and staff are not exposed to any sort of bodily fluids or any hazardous materials of any kind,” Haas said.

Haas said the bottles were found on more than one floor and were also found on both male and female floors.

“It’s just something we want to nip in the bud,” Haas said.

Some residents are confused and disgusted by the events.

Hannah Green, sophomore biology major and Wright Hall resident, said, “I can’t really think of a good reason except for people trying to pull a prank.”

Wright Hall resident and freshman environmental conservation biology major Mitchell Bosse said he didn’t understand the point of the incident.

“It’s disgusting and really random,” Bosse said. “I don’t see the point in it. I don’t know why someone would want to do that.”

Jill Church, director of Residence Services, said if the problem doesn’t stop and the department knows who is causing it, they will send the student through the student conduct process. Church said the process involves a hearing of students, faculty and staff.

In an email sent out to the residents of Wright Hall, Haas said if the behavior did not stop, a special team of people would have to come in to dispose of the trash.

However, Haas said a student did come forward.

“We want to address behaviors in the building with an educational approach,” Haas said. “Like having an educational conversation and trying to figure out what the intent was.”

Haas said since the email was sent out to residents and the student came forward, the problem hasn’t happened again.

“We believe the issue has been resolved,” Haas said.

For more information on residence hall policies and rules visit The Hallways Handbook page on the university website.

Contact Martin Harp at [email protected].