PHSA holds first yoga fundraiser

Kent State public health professor and yoga instructor Diana Kingsbury teaches students a yoga pose, Tuesday, Mar. 11, 2014, in room 308 of the Student Center. The class was held for a PHSA fundraiser for which all proceeds went to the PHSA Global Health Fund.

Halie Rogers

The College of Public Health’s student organization, the Public Health Student Alliance, hosted its first yoga fundraiser Tuesday to raise money for the PHSA Global Health Fund.

“The fund is included in the organization to assist with any global humanitarian opportunities that come up that the organization would like to assist with,” said Diana Kingsbury, a graduate appointee in the department of Health Policy and Management. “The fund was mainly set up to send supplies through MedWish, an organization that provides medical equipment to developing countries in need.”

Thirteen people participated in the fundraiser. They each paid a $5 donation to do yoga for two hours.

Kingsbury is a local yoga teacher and said she offered to be the instructor for the fundraiser.

“I love teaching yoga,” Kingsbury said. “I think there are many great benefits to regularly practicing yoga, such as being a stress reliever, a good exercise and it really brings balance to life.”

Junior public health major Michelle Foley said she has been a member of PHSA for three years and currently serves as the organization’s secretary. Foley said she has done three Zumba fundraisers with PHSA before, and she, along with PHSA’s other executive members, decided it would be good to try something new.

“Talking to PHSA members, the PHSA executive members decided that yoga was popular and that after midterms, students would like to relax, have fun and meet new people while donating money for a good cause: the Global Health Fund,” Foley said.

Contact Halie Rogers at [email protected].