ROTC cadets train for physical fitness tests

Sophomore cadets in the Air Force ROTC take the Physical Fitness Test Friday, Feb. 7, 2014. Cadets have one minute to do as many push ups as they can while another cadet counts.

Mary Booth

During their second year in the Air Force ROTC program, cadets are required to pass a physical fitness assessment or PFA, in order to be eligible to attend Field Training in the summer.       

The Air Force ROTC website describes Field Training as a month-long program where cadets work on survival training, weapon training and physical conditioning. Every cadet must make it through Field Training in order to continue in the ROTC program. However, before cadets can attend, they must pass the physical fitness assessment first.

Captain Christopher Deaver, operations flight commander for the Air Force ROTC and assistant professor of aerospace science, said the cadets are in charge of setting up and preparing for the PFA.

“The assessment is instructed by the upperclassmen,” Deaver  said. “Of course, the cadre and I are there to guide them in the right direction and help them along the way. But it’s a great way for them to gain leadership experience.”

Deaver said the cadets have to take a physical fitness assessment every semester, and during the assessment, there are specific exercises they must follow.

“The cadets are tested on a number of different things,” Deaver said. “How many sit-ups and push-ups they can do in one minute, a timed mile-and-a-half run. Their weight and waist measurements are taken too.”

These assessments, Deaver said, are the best way to physically prepare the cadets for Field Training.

Allison Vance, sophomore nutrition major and a cadet in the Air Force ROTC program, recently took and passed the assessment. She said the assessment is necessary to ensure the fitness of every cadet.

“The Air Force wants all of their future officers to be physically fit,” Vance said. “It’s a very demanding job so you definitely have to be in the best shape you can.”

There are many factors that go into being selected for Field Training, she said. Not only do cadets have to pass the physical fitness test, but their GPA and overall ranking in the Air Force are also considered.

“They look at your GPA, PFA and your rank,” Vance said. “The Air Force will draw a line and say that everyone below this line isn’t allowed to go to Field Training.” Cadets are required to take fitness assessments during Field Training and throughout their entire Air Force careers, according to Vance.

“Doing PFAs while you’re in ROTC is so important because you are going to continue to have them throughout your whole Air Force career,” she said. “You are required to take them even as an officer, so this is just setting the foundation.”

Vance said she is excited that she passed her physical fitness assessment and, is looking forward to Field Training this summer.

Ryan Davis, junior biology major and a cadet in the Air Force ROTC program, attended Field Training last summer.

“Field Training is a four-week long training course at Maxwell Air Force Base and Camp Shelby Joint Force Task Center,” Davis said. “It’s kind of like an officer version of basic training.”

During the first two years in the ROTC program, the cadets are learning how to be great leaders, and at Field Training everything they’ve learned is put to the test, Davis said.

“When you go to Field Training, that’s kind of like your big test,” Davis said. “They put you in charge of a bunch of people and you’ll have to lead them. It’s a test of your leadership and your even ranked nationally for it.”

Davis said that Field Training is an amazing way to see leadership skills in action. However, the cadets are put into stressful situations. 

“It’s a little bit of a culture shock. It’s more intense then any of the training you’ve done up to that point,” Davis said. “They try to put the pressure and stress on you to see how you will react as a leader.”

Davis was just selected to be a Cadet Training Assistant for Field Training this summer. Davis said that he will be in charge of training the upcoming cadets.

For more information about the physical fitness assessment or field training go to http://www.afrotc.com.

Contact Mary Booth at [email protected].