College of Podiatric Medicine dean search narrowed to three candidates

Emily Mills

Kent State University’s College of Podiatric Medicine is conducting a search for the new dean of the college following the death of Thomas V. Melillo, the former chief executive officer of the institution, in October.

Three candidates have been selected to speak to the campus community about their plans for the position. Allan M. Boike, director of podiatric medical and surgical residency training programs and section head of podiatric medicine and surgery at the Cleveland Clinic’s Foot and Ankle Center, presented Jan. 8 at Kent State’s College of Podiatric Medicine in Independence.

John N. Venson, dean and professor of the California School of Podiatric Medicine at Samuel Merritt University, presented Tuesday from 5:30-6:30 p.m. Adam Landsman, chief of the division of podiatric surgery at the Cambridge Health Alliance and assistant professor of surgery at Harvard Medical School, will present Thursday, Jan. 16, from 4 to 5 p.m. at the College of Podiatric Medicine.

Photo

Director of Podiatric Medical and Surgical Residency Training Allan M. Boike. Photo courtesy of Kent State.

Allan M. Boike

Boke has been a member of the Orthopaedic Surgery staff since 1997 as a member of the Foot and Ankle Section.

Boike said he wants to focus on research and tuition if he is selected as dean.

“I want to provide the best value-based education for students and have them be at the highest-ranked program in the country,” he said. “The Kent State University College of Podiatric Medicine should be the number one college [for podiatric medicine] in the country. I want to bolster research efforts and look at better ways to help students get the best residencies they can get.”

Boike was in private practice from 1989 to 1997 and served as an assistant professor at the Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine [renamed the Kent State University College of Podiatric Medicine] from 1985 to 1994.

He also wants to reduce student debt through scholarships and various philanthropies.

Boike earned his doctorate in podiatric medicine from the Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine in 1982 and a bachelor’s of pharmacy in 1975 from Wayne State University in Detroit, Mich.

Photo

Dean and professor John N. Venson. Photo courtesy of Kent State.

John N. Venson

Venson, has been the dean and a professor at the California School of Podiatric Medicine at Samuel Merritt University in Oakland, Calif., since 2008. He has also served as the associate director of credentials on the American Board of Podiatric Surgery since 2000.

He was in private practice from 1977 to 2004, and served in various positions at the Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine in North Chicago, Ill, from 1985 to 2000.

Venson did not respond to requests for comment.

“I believe my extensive experience, knowledge and sills enable me to recognize and fulfill the responsibilities and challenges of the Founding Dean’s position while utilizing the extensive resources at Kent State University to grow KSUCPM’s position as this profession’s pre-eminent institution,” Venson said in his resume.

Venson earned his bachelor’s and doctorate in podiatric medicine in 1972 and 1976, respectively, from the Illinois College of Podiatric Medicine.

Photo

Chief, Division of Podiatric Surgery Adam Landsman. Photo courtesy of Kent State.

Adam Landsman

Adam Landsman said he aims to improve the College of Podiatric Medicine’s research program if he is selected to fill the empty dean’s position.

“There’s a place for a stronger research program, and I think on the clinical side, there’s a good opportunity to integrate within the school,” he said. “I think sometimes, schools get out of touch with the clinical side.”

Landsman has served as the chief of podiatric surgery division at Cambridge Health Alliance in Cambridge, Mass., since 2010. He has also been an assistant professor of surgery at the Harvard Medical School since 2006.

He has 20 years of experience in hospitals and medical centers and 22 years of experience in medical education.

Landsman earned a doctorate in bioengineering from the University of Pennsylvania in 1992, a doctorate of podiatric medicine from the Temple University of Podiatric Medicine in 1990, a master’s in bioengineering at the University of Pennsylvania in 1988 and a bachelor’s in chemical engineering from the University of Virginia in 1984.

Emily Mills is an assigning editor for the Daily Kent Stater. Contact her at [email protected].