Auntie Anne’s grand opening rolls a crowd

Blythe Alspaugh

Video by Max Fleck of TV2.

The line for Auntie Anne’s stretched to the entrance of the Hub yesterday afternoon as the restaurant celebrated its grand opening in the Student Center.

“I was not expecting it to be this busy,” said Edward Stafford, a junior physics major. “Opening a new restaurant in the hub is a very exciting thing, especially for a student body this large, but I didn’t expect [this].”

Students waited in line for pretzels for up to 45 minutes as the workers at Auntie Anne’s prepared pretzels for their customers. Management at Auntie Anne’s couldn’t even be reached due to the rush of people.

Photo

Students stand in line to be the first to get Auntie Anne’s. Photo by Graham Smith.

“Anything new, everybody’s attracted to it,” said junior Zac Thomas. “It’s like Quaker Steak. When Quaker Steak first opened, it was just like this, so I kind of expected it.”

“I didn’t expect it to be touching almost the other side of the building, but I expected for there to be some type of wait,” said junior Neyka Jones.

Julian Wood, senior public communications major, had a similar tale to tell. 

“I remember when Subway first opened up, and everybody acted like they never had Subway before, and the line was around this corner and outside of the Hub,” Wood said. “I’m waiting to see this line go outside. I feel like, by the end of the day, it’ll get there.”

Reception overall was pleasant, as Auntie Anne’s replaced Ambrosia.

“I think I’ll eat here more than I ever ate at Ambrosia,” said Wood.

At the end of the day, it’s all about the experience, and most didn’t mind waiting in the line. Stafford said, “It’s less about whether it’s worth it or not, and more that we didn’t have anything else to do and it sounded like a good idea at the time.”

Contact Blythe Alspaugh at [email protected].