Navigating finals week with the University Library

Taylor Rollins

Finals week — these two words alone strike fear into the hearts of college students nationwide. While this is undoubtedly a stressful time, many things can make finals week an easier experience.

For students studying, the library’s core services will still be available during finals week.

“You can still meet with a librarian,” said James Bracken, the dean of the library. “That service still goes on until Dec. 14. Textbooks are also on reserve downstairs. The library’s new Xeroxing machine is free for printing and for scanning.”

The library will also be open 24 hours Friday, Dec. 6, Saturday, Dec. 7 and Sunday, Dec. 8 because of high demand during finals week, according to the library’s website.

As a way to relax, the library will host the Dogs On Campus Pet Therapy Program on Dec. 9 and 10 from 3 to 5 p.m.

The program was designed to give students a taste of what they’re missing, relieving anxiety, stress and making them feel comfortable, according to the pet therapy program’s website.

And sometimes, the best way to relieve stress from finals is to take a break from studying altogether.

“The Starbucks on the first floor of the library is a great way to take a break from studying while still keeping my energy level up,” said Victoria Emanuel, senior communication studies major.

The library is also sponsoring a community event called Festival of Lights Saturday, Dec. 7 to celebrate Christmas while promoting the library’s literacy program.

“If students are bored on Saturday the 7th, the library is participating in the Festival of Lights,” Bracken said. “Santa Claus is coming to town, and we’re giving out books to kids as a part of our literacy program.”

The Kent Area Chamber of Commerce, Kent Free Library and Kent State University Libraries will be donating books at the Festival of Lights in downtown Kent. Carolers will begin at 5:30 p.m. and Santa will arrive at 6.

Donations for the festival can be made by calling the Kent Area Chamber of Commerce at 330-673-9855.

Taylor Rollin is the library reporter for the Daily Kent Stater.

Contact Taylor Rollins at [email protected].