Ohio Pandemic Team to hold free COVID-19 testing events at Kent State

Update covid testing

This article has been updated to reflect the date change from Jan. 21 and 22 to Jan. 28 and 29 for the testing events. 

Kent State is partnering with the Ohio Pandemic Testing Team to bring two open COVID-19 testing events to campus during the first week of courses, according to an email from Kent State on Wednesday. The testing will take place on Thursday, Jan. 28 and Friday, Jan. 29 from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. at the Kent State Field House located at 2227 Summit St. in Kent. 

The testing is free and open to anyone from the university community, including the general public. The test is a nasal swab test conducted by medical personnel from the Ohio National Guard, with results back in two to three days.

According to the email from Kent State, the university especially encourages students living off campus to take advantage of this testing. Students living in residence halls do not need to attend as they have weekly coronavirus testing at the Kent State Ice Arena.

How to register

Advanced preregistration is strongly recommended by the university, and you can register online here. You can also scan this QR code to begin your registration. 

• Register with your current local address, which is the address students reside during classes, and the date that you are registering to take your test. 

• The account number and name for these testing events will pre-populate into the form. Do not modify them.

• Complete all fields marked with a red asterisk (*).

• Your Social Security number and driver’s license number is not required. 

• The insurance type selected will be pre-chosen as “Client Bill (free test)” and should not be modified.

• Provider information is already preselected and should not be modified.

• Virus detection 720100 – SARS-CoV-2 will be preselected and should not be modified.

• Virus antibody will have nothing selected and should not be modified.

• Z03.818 should be selected for the DX code.

• The sample collection date should be selected for the date that you are testing. If the correct collection date is not selected, your test will not be accepted.

• The custom state-required questions need to be answered.

• Once you have completed the form, select “Create EREQ” at the bottom. This will assign you an MX number that will be utilized at the event. This also will be emailed to the email address you provide.

• You must bring the MX number to the event.

• If you agree to allow Mako Medical to text you when your results are ready, please ensure that you “opt in” for this during your registration.

• Results will be accessible through Mako Medical at https://mako.luminatehealth.com.

According to the email, any member of the university community who has COVID-19 symptoms may contact the Kent State COVID Response Team at the DeWeese Health Center by calling 330-672-2525 to arrange for a test any weekday.

Students, faculty and staff may also schedule a free test at any CVS Minute Clinic location, according to the university. Visit the COVID-19 testing webpage for all testing options.

Jenna Borthwick is a digital content editor. Contact her at [email protected]