News on the Go: Nov. 14, 2013

Carrie Blazina

UPDATE: Three students Wednesday were shot outside a Pittsburgh high school, officials said, and police arrested and charged another student with attempted homicide and other shooting-related charges. Pittsburgh Public Schools spokeswoman Ebony Pugh said three students outside Brashear High School were walking to a vehicle when they were shot; the victims’ injuries appeared to be non-life-threatening. Anjohnito Willett Jr., 16, told police he was retaliating for being beaten last month at school during a drug-related robbery.

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford said Wednesday he had bought illegal drugs in the past two years, but he refused to step down despite the entire city council, whose meeting he was attending, asking him to take a leave of absence. Ford said he is a positive role model for children and brushed aside councilors’ suggestions that he seek help. The city council’s efforts to get him to step down or take leave were purely symbolic; the council cannot force the mayor from office unless he is convicted of a crime.

A building at Tacloban airport in the Philippines became the typhoon-ravaged area’s main medical center Wednesday, and despite being overrun with patients, it does not have enough doctors or medicine. The doctors who were there said they had been dealing with cuts, fractures and pregnancy complications, but they expected to soon be treating pneumonia, dehydration, diarrhea, infections and other more serious problems. Authorities continue to deal with looters and trying to get enough relief supplies to deal with Friday’s typhoon, which has killed thousands.

New guidelines were announced Wednesday for fighting the United States’ obesity epidemic, and they urge doctors to be more aggressive about making patients lose weight. A group of organizations such as the American Heart Association and the Obesity Society announced the guidelines, which call for doctors to calculate patients’ body mass index and, if necessary, set up a weight-loss plan and counseling. More than one-third of U.S. adults are obese, and obesity can trigger diabetes and lead to heart disease, among other problems.

Contact Carrie Blazina at [email protected].