Fashion show raises money for minority students

Models wearing a collection by Braisha Owens walk the runway at the Modista Fall Fashion show on Saturday, Nov. 16, 2013 in Rockwell Hall. Photo by Rachael Le Goubin.

Samantha Tuly

A packed Rockwell Hall auditorium was buzzing with excitement Saturday, as patrons waited for the MODISTA fashion show to begin.

All of the proceeds from the sold-out Noir Nouveau fashion show went toward a new scholarship fund.

“This year we wanted to incorporate giving back,” MODISTA President Kasia Gibbs said. “Especially since the new design program changed, with the new curriculum. You need extra materials.

MODISTA Vice President Jowan Cole and Gibbs felt it was especially important to support their peers and make funding available to promote staying in school. “College is expensive,” Cole said. “It’s kind of sickening sometimes seeing a lot of minority and some other students dropping out.”

The show featured original student collections as well as a few established brands such as PINK, Next and Einstein’s Attic.

Student designers were asked to interpret “Noir Nouveau,” (“the new black” in French), in their own way, which promoted an assortment of varying collections. Some items featured a dark sleek look, while others were brightly colored and eccentric.

“All of the designs impressed me,” said Kim Saluan, a freshman fashion merchandising major. “I really enjoyed it.”

Each collection and outfit represented the individuality of its designer, but the clothing was not the only unique aspect of the show. Live entertainment took the stage amongst the collections.

Local rapper Bei Sims opened and closed the show with original songs and the Legacy Dance Team performed during intermission.

After Sim’s final performance the show came to an end, but the excitement didn’t.

“It was amazing,” said Jazmine Woods, a junior applied communications major. “I liked the theme because everyone loves the color black but the term ‘the new black’ has sort of taken on its own concept.”

Both Cole and Gibbs were grateful to all of the shows participants including the patrons who came to see the show.

“All the support from the community was really awesome,” Gibbs said.

Contact Samantha Tuly at [email protected].